Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         05 Dec 96 07:10:20 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Starting From Engine Bay

I recently hard wired in a remote start switch to my engine bay. Along with that I added a hot wire lead from the starter main lead. There were lots of warnings about NOT using the terminal 15 coil lead for supplying power for timing lights, etc with the Hall distribution system, so I needed another hot source.

So with some perusing of the wiring diagram, and the addition of a male spade fitting to terminal 15 on the coil, I can now power up and start my engine from the engine bay itself without using a key!

The wiring diagram indicated that no running stuff would be affected by appllying power TO the coil's terminal 15, just dash stuff.

Alright, how likely is it that someone will reach up into a Vanagon engine through the license plate and figure this all out have a jumper handy, and WANT to steal a Vanagon? You rear hatchers may have more concerns, such as a locking hatch.

I run a jumper (female connector to the coil, alligator to the hot lead) and hit the start switch, vroom! The engine comes to life. Pulling the alligator stops it. No more running around to kill the engine, no more listening from a distance when starting. (BTW, don't wire it the other way around with the alligator at the coil, when you pull it to shut off engine, the alligator is still hot!, BTDT)

Another benefit for diagnostics is that I can check the engine electronics separate from the dash by disconnecting the wire from the ignition switch to the coil (at the dash, careful, it's hot when engine running)

Disadvantage is that none of the dash warning lights function as power is supplied by another piece of the ignition switch.

I had forgotten to post this until reading about Craig's dead '74. Modifying wiring like mine would allow Craig to diagnose dash separate from engine wiring. (Clara, are you lurking?)

Any downsides to this I missed

- Jeff '80 Westi