Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:49:43 -0800
From:         "Matthew L. Dekker" <mdekker@eskimo.com>
Subject:      EV CLs, GLs, and MVs, oh my!

Hello everyone,

Yes, I am STILL looking. Drove a relatively nice EV CL yesterday with only 36,000 miles on it. It was rather a brief drive since the 18 month old was screaming the whole way. (As an afterthought, it was nice that he was since it kept the sales small talk to a minimum.)

Two things will keep me from considering this one (or other CLs). From the original VW EV brochure sent out with the video, two of the main differences between the CL and GL were the demisting vents for the side windows in front of the mirrors are absent on the CL, and would be very nice in perpetually damp Seattle, and very important for a road trip van, the lack of either a factory OR aftermarket cruise control. I might be able to live without the demisting but cruise control is a necessity. Has anyone out there ever done this for their CL?

And to add my 2 cents to the Chrysler innovations: at a vintage VW meet this summer, there was at least one very early bus with two side doors. Also, the BMC Mini was probably one of the first "cab forward" designs where the front engine, front drive, wheels at the corners layout allowed roughly 80% of the volume to be utilized for passengers and cargo. In fact, I have a postcard with an old Mini advertisement calling their wagon version a "Mini-Van!"

Best Regards, Matt Dekker mdekker@eskimo.com

Dekker Service Home Page http://www.eskimo.com/~mdekker