Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Dec 1996 02:40:55 GMT
From:         Dixie <fancher@ibm.net>
Subject:      ?motor deal

hi volks

have a question

found a motor head to head with alt. for 100.00 smackers. person said it ran great before the van was totalled (front end). its been sitting on the concrete floor for 2 years. it wont spin by hand we will be taking tools the next time we stop over to the guys house. is there anything special i should look for as far as problems? i mainly deal with air cooled motors for my type 1-2-3 but this monster is a bit different. and if the heads are good i.e. crackless than i was planning on replaceing intake and exhaust valves and guides install new head gaskets and such and be on my way.

reason i ask is my 86 vanagon (i.e.terrorist bus) with a mere 160k miles seems to have a problem with compression. say 120,121,147,168psi per cyl. i say she is just getting broken in. good thing is she burns no oil. heads do not leak external but believe theyre leaking internal. i loose power after warm up. is there anything that i should know before starting this fun project?

any input would be greatly appreciated thanks Jonce 56 single cab 66 square back 66 bug 86 vanagon 92 jetta 94 probe (wifes car)