Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 05 Dec 1996 21:35:26 +0000
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@pipeline.com>
Subject:      Propex: We have heat!

In our last chapter, everything was all set except for one pesky gas leak....

Took a little time off this afternoon and got some advice. The service guy at the local RV place took one look and said he could not get his flaring tool in there, and he suggested reflaring, but leaving 3/16" of tubing sticking out of the flaring tool. BTW, the instructions say "flush", and the guy I bought the tool from suggested leaving about 1/16"out. Anyway, the RV guy said if that did not work, remove the tube (actually looks pretty easy in the Bentley) and he would make up a new one to fit for half an hour's labor charge and parts, a total of $27.00. But he was busy and encouraged my to try reflaring it at 3/16" first.

So I did, and it held the first time. Rechecked all the fittings with soapy water again, and fired it off. Took a few minutes to come up to temp, but it works just fine. I'm glad I went for the center installation of the outlet, hot air comes out with a good force and kind of bounces off the floor - looks like a nice dispersion pattern.

Buttoned things up - one last notch your will have to cut is in the forward compartment, in the sort of step shelf that fits against the floor and the outside wall. You need a small notch at the back so the new gas line can past through. Finally, light off your stove and fridge to make sure they are in working order again.

Its a rainy, cold and dreary night here in Washington. Parked in the driveway alongside our house, furnace blasting away, we made hot toddies and listened to some Little Feat. It was cozy in our little VW cocoon. Life is good.

Tom F.