Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Dec 96 22:01:21 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Thanksgiving Break road trip

Hey all, I just got back tonight from Thanksgiving break. I left Tuesday afternoon and came back tonight, Sunday night. Going down I ran into a lot of rain/wind, had a headwind most of the way down I think, had some times where I couldn't get the '81 to go 55 on a flat stretch of road. Windy. Got about 16.2 mpg on the way down, but on the way back tonight I got 18mpg!! Only thing I can figure is a nice tailwind. Some places I was even able to hold 65mph uphill :) .

Over the break I got a lot done. I changed the oil and filter, installed a new thermostat (adjusted too), removed the spare engine from the cargo area (that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be), cleaned up the bus a bit, got some camping gear, checked the idle speed and timing, found the timing to be too retarded by 3.5 degrees, so I reset it to 7.5 deg BTDC like it's supposed to be, listened for pinging and found none, etc. That helped out with the power a bit.

Had a great Thanksgiving, lots of turkey and then some more turkey the next day :) .

Take care everybody, Sean