Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:29:31 -0500
From:         Robin Davies <rodavies@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Blown engine you say!

Tim Smith writes: Wasn't there a post a while back that VWoA will accept a core even if demo'd by a thrown rod as long as the case hadn't been split? Or have I been drinking again.

I reply: VWoA gets their rebuilds from a company in Ontario, CA whom will take back ANY core as long as the damage was from within. Blown rod? They'll take it! Fire? I don't think so..... I tried to get this info from VWoA very early in my blown Westy fiasco and was snubbed. Bought a used core which was dropped on its head and broken in transit (still trying to get my money back on that one!) and finally agreed to pay the additional $1500 the dealer wanted since my core was "shot". Had the sparkling rebuild installed (1500 miles now) and received a lovely orange slip from VWoC w/ serial number and other wonderful factoids ie: compression,etc on my new engine. Also printed on this slip was this phone number 416-288-3001. For the hell of it, I spoke w/ Dennis at that number and found that my blown core was acceptable and to ship it on in. Three months later I sent a blown core to VWoC and a "feisty" letter to VWoA for jacking me around on this. Still w/ me? You should know that I got a check from VWoA $1500 for my troubles and needless to say I am thrilled! My contact at VWoA was Robert Schoof and he seemed like a genuinely nice fellow... There is justice in America!

R.

87 Syncro Vanagon Westfalia 92 Syncro Passat(G60) Both Titian Red!