Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         06 Dec 96 23:54:10 EST
From:         "William A. McKinley" <75112.2101@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      '72 Westy FS Milwaukee

Well, I've decided to take the big leap. That Synchro is lookin' mighty nice. My Westy is now officially for sale. Here's the vitals:

Factory '72 Westy, non-pop top. White. Interior is complete. Cabinets, sink and icebox in good condition. The original grey handles have been replaced with new black ones from VW. Original yellow/orange vinyl upholstry has a few tears in both back seats. Floor is in good condition. Wood paneling is original, all in place, and in good to fair condition (not falling apart). I made new curtains for it, not anything like the original color, but much better quality. I still have the original front curtain, in near new condition. Bug screen is in near new condition. Childs cot in near new condition. I have a removable stool, but I think it's off a '73 or'74, as it's covered in (matching) cloth. The original seatbelts have all been replaced with generic modern ones I still have the old ones) in grey (three belts across the bench seat, one passenger has to be kid-sized). Front belts are modern retractable shoulder/lap belts, again in grey. The front seats have been recovered with repros from TMI in grey, and have been covered with saddleblanket-style covers (also in very good condition, and grey/striped) since new. The rubber on the floor beneath the seats was replaced with grey loop carpeting. The mat between the seats in in excellent condition. Front floor mat is original, not falling apart, but pretty worn. Dash is in perfect condition with exception of two nearly imperceptable cracks above the grab handle. I have added a VDO oil temp gauge just below the Pioneer AM/FM Cassette. And a VDO clock (correct for year, not quartz) in the correct location, and it works. Even keeps fair time. Door panels are original and could stand to be replaced, but they're not falling off and getting in the way. And the heat works like new (FWIW). I burned my hand on the defroster vent last week. Plenty hot, just needs more voulme to heat the interior of that cavern. BTW, the van has a PDP AC system, all the parts are there, under dash evaporator, and I'm certain it could be made to work. The fans all work. Oh, yeah, and an alarm system.

Outside, the van is a twenty footer. Minimal surface rust around the gutters and other here and theres, Some bubbles forming behind the front bumper, bottom edge of passenger door, and sliding door. Battery trays need to be repaired/replaced, but it's not evident from the outside. No rust in floors or frame. No holes anywhere except the battery trays. Shopping cart dent in slider, not too bad. Scraper dents (2) in driver's middle section and back left quarter. Rear bumper is a little bent, not too bad (backed into the wife's N*v*).That's it for the body. Replaced the windshield, all the window, door and body rubber replaced during resto in 1992/93. It's all holding up very well except the front door windows, and I've got new windlace already, just haven't put it in. Like new spare tire. Engine: 1800cc from Stephens Machining (I know, but it's holding up very well, and it has the increased interference valve seats, all new, in the heads), Porsche 914 cam, "race balance" (static, I think), dual 36mm Dellorto's, 050 distributor. If this was an automatic, there's no way you could drive it in town, but it's got a lot of get up and go, and has no problem getting on the freeway and keeping up with traffic. Thank God for clutches. Also in the engine compartment is a battery isolator, a deep cycle battery (only a few months old, runs the interior lights and accessory plugs and some accessories), and a "Rust Buster" from JCW (device is supposed to provide sacrificial electrons to the rust godz so they don't take them out of the steel. Devices like these are used on ships, underground pipelines, etc. No way to tell if it has or hasn't helped, but the light still blinks). I've replaced virtually all the gas lines (even those on top of the tank), and there's a spare electric fuel pump installed on the frame right next to the starter ready to be hooked up if the need arises. CV joints have all been replaced within the last year (all 4 at once) with new Lobros and boots from RMMW. Clutch was of course replaced with the engine, in June of '93. I think we're talking about 40,000 miles, but I'll have to double check the odo's lates reading. I just replaced all four ball joints in November, and the steering box is less than a year old (rebuilt, from RMMW), tie rod ends and drag link in Nov'95. NEW ATE calipers and ATE brake booster, master cylinder Sept of '94, rear cylinders Feb'94, new front bearings May'94. God, I've got tons or receipts. I must be crazy to sell this. Enough of this.

These are the extras.One very desireable item I have is a WESTY TENT. Correct color. Excellent condition, no rips/tears/stains, all poles, original tent and pole bags, stakes, ropes, etc. This isn't gonna go if the van doesn't sell, so don't ask. Complete stock 1700 engine. Ran good when I took it out, matter of fact I believe the bottom end has only a few thousand on a VW rebuild, but I can't verify, and the P&C have less than a thousand miles on them. . Had to rob an exhaust valve out of it. Heads have less than 1000 miles on rebuild by MOFOCO. Includes carbs (condition of these unknown, picked them up at a swap, but they appear complete), unused rebuilt stock dual vacuum distributor. Lots of good parts, new and used, like a new clutch kit, VC gaskets, Bosch oil filters, instrument cluster, door handles, turn lense (front), new carb rebuild kits, and lots more. I'm afraid to go look in the garage, I know they've been breeding out there. Many pieces of literature, owner's manual, Westy manual, Bently, Haynes, sales brochures, etc, etc. I never had any intentions of selling this van, ever, but I've got the hots for that Synchro. I must be crazy.

Bottom line... with all the extras, $4200, negotiable without. Remember that tent! I just saw one change hands if good-fair condition for about $800. It scares me to own something that valuable.

E- me privately if interested.

Andy McKinley 75112.2101@compuserve.com '72 Westy Cudahy, WI