Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:05:00 -0500
From:         Taylrbc@aol.com
Subject:      Re: ..TD conversion

wkwood@burgoyne.com comments,

>While turbocharging a Diesel will clean up the smoke, >you'll actually lean out the engine without the corresponding increase in >fuel metering.

When I adjusted the fuel delivery screw on the injection pump to provide less fuel, the EGT read lower. In other words the diesel seems opposite of a gasoline engine with regards to air fuel mixture.

> Keep the boost conservative (if you have a boost gauge) of >less than 8PSI for street use. If you have a pyrometer keep the >temperature below 950F.

I am hoping that your pyrometer was mounted downstream of the turbo as my thermocouple is mounted on the manifold before the turbo and keeping the temperature below 1100 F at 8 psi boost, ie. pushing the loaded camper up a steep grade seems difficult. Normal driving seems to run sustained temperatures of 600-800 F. I think if I am pushing the engine too much, the first thing to go will be the headgasket. It would be interesting to know what temp the factory TD's run, although it has features like piston oil squirters, different heat treat or alloy cylinder head, which should allow higher temp operation.

Thanks for your comments Brent Taylor