Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Dec 1996 02:06:46 -0500
From:         Taylrbc@aol.com
Subject:      Re: CS diesel block with turbo-charger

Gary, to answer your questions

> Do I understand you correctly, that you have added Quantum > intake and exhaust manifolds together with the turbocharger, to your > 48 horsepower, CS diesel long block? ? ?

Yes, I am hoping VW's over-engineering will allow this abuse. In the early 80's there were several after market turbo kits for the diesels and at according to car magazine reports of the time the kits worked well. Also, I installed boost, exhaust gas temperature, and oil temperature gauges to keep track of things.

> Have you had your Vanagon out for a prolonged drive at say >60 mph (100 kph) ? Any compression or ring problems to date?

I have had it setup this way for about a year and put 10-12k miles on it with no ill effects yet. During a trip the past summer from California to Oregon, climbing the long steep grades @ 90 F outside temp., the rear main seal decided to start a messy leak. Luckily the rate of the leak was only a quart per 400mi. so we were able to continue the trip. When I pulled the transmission out, the seal appeared just worn out, the worst thing was the pilot bearing was dust and filings and the mainshaft badly worn. I am guessing that there was not any grease in the bearing when the engine was installed. I think this was due to happen and is independent of adding the turbo.

After this repair the only oil leak is at the valve cover, timing belt end. I think the cover is bent causing this slight leak. The only problem related to adding the turbo is, the first muffler I had , broke the brackets a couple times.

Some questions about your 82 van if you don't mind

Does your 'van have a complete quantum engine? If so, how is the air filter connection made? How is the turbo oil drained? hoses, fittings etc. Do you have a problem with the boost enrichment diaphram on the injection pump hitting the engine compartment lid?

A general question to any diesel informed reader VW has made a 1.9 td for a couple of years now, and I have seen new longblocks advertised for sale. Has anybody installed this motor into a Vanagon?