Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Dec 1996 01:10:33 -0700 (MST)
From:         meek@oanet.com (Gary Meek)
Subject:      Re: 1.6 litre diesel heads - regular vs turbo-diesel

Mike:

>I would check with Ben at European Engine Parts, in Eugene, Oregon, phone >503-485-5148. He may have a valuable comment about using a regular head >on a TD. According to him, he is a machinist who has developed some cost >saving shortcuts on VW TD rebuilds. For example, he uses Metal Leve >(non-turbo, Brazilian) pistons and machines the skirts for oil squirter >clearance.

Yes, I do that myself. But I don't advocate it yet because I don't have more that ten to fifteen thousand miles on my rebuilt TD engine, so I don't know how durable the modified pistons are, in the more severe TD application.

> He uses less deck height than factory specs for reliability.

I don't understand this. Do you mean that he uses a thicker gasket than specs call for, so that the compression is lower and hence the motor has longer life? ?

>On heads that have lost a pre-cup, he heliarcs the hole, remachines, >installs a used pre-cup from a junk head, then resurfaces it. He said he >has done these rebuilds for years with no failures and that some units now >have over 120,000 mi. on them.

My machine shop was willing to do the same, but I thought better to apply the expensive cost of the welding and machining to a rebuildable core, and keep the damaged head for spares.

>Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement. I haven't actually run the >head he rebuilt for me, so I can't comment on the quality of his work. On >the negative side, it did take him about three months to do a valve job >and ship the part back to me.

I assume that your head was low priority, and was only worked on when there were not more pressing jobs in the shop. If you don't need the head yesterday, and you can get a discount for waiting a spell to get your head back, then this is a good way to go. Locally, I've an excellent machine shop to patronize, which is owned by a perfectionist. Ahhhhhh, here is where perfectionists shine. He just cannot turn out shoddy work. Even being a perfectionist myself, I cannot find any fault with his work.

PS to my APB for a TD head for a 1.6 litre diesel is that it must be with adjustable valves..........I already have two hydraulic valve heads.

gary meek sherwood park, alberta, canada

82 Vanagon GL 1.6 litre turbo-diesel 83 Quantum SW 1.6 litre turbo-diesel 83 Audi 4000S 1.6 litre turbo-diesel