Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:09:14 -0500 (EST)
From:         David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject:      Re: Copy of: Re: Dead Deer on a Syncro

well....i figure i might as well toss in my deer/vw experiances...

my beloved 74 super ate a nice sized buck for its midnight snack, back november maybe december of 95...its raining, a bit fogggy, and about 2.30, maybe 3 am...i had got off work, (ew!! McD's!!) and was doing my normal 85-90, maybe faster...its a 15 ta 20 minute drive doing the speedlimit, and damn it, i'm greasy! ew!! i could regularly do it in about 6 minutes.. at least, in the middle of the night!:)

so, i'm maybe 1/4 miles from my driveway, down a bit of a dip, about to go over a SMALL bridge that crosses a brook...and my lights illuminate a deeer...just STANDING there, looking the other way. so, hand hits horn, foot hits brake...so of course, the car does the normal thing when one slams the brake on a wet road...all four lock up tight...

i know i wont be able to stop in time, and the edge of the road is NO choice...a 8 ft drop into the woods on one side, a not so gentle 10-15 foot slopeing drop that goes back up to about 5 ft...(looking back, i probably could have made that, and had plenty of time to stop in the field...provided i cleared the fence!) so, i switch lanes...and immediately ddecide to go back to the othe lane, its lots safer!

FIVE deer were staring at tme from the other lane!! ack!!

No room btween them to steer this carrening orange thing...so, i take it as far off center as i can...with out going off the road..foot long of the gas by now...long, as in maybe 1 second...:) and kerthud! hit it...now, describing how it hit will be kinda hard to do, but i'll try..

deer standing so its head faces the way of the passendger..so..

hit it, it totals my left fender, crushes my hood up against the tool box, and its head left a small dent farther up the hood, just inside of the outter edge..then, the damn thing sorta lifts up into the airstream, and then OVER!! damn thing went right over me!!

foot lays on the gas after impact, and i hll ass the last 1/4 miles home...o, to the driveway...pull in, and drive the 1/2 miles up to the house..then get out...and take a quick look at the damnage..headlight is fine..very crooked, but not broke. the ring is gone..on the ghood you can see the latches of the toolbox...wow....

THENi decide to go see whats left...:) and to find my bloody headlight ring! (yeah, i was hpoing it was alright!)

anyway...get back, and find the ring spread for about 5 feet...in a quadrillion pieces..damn. tehn look for the deer. Nothing!! NOTHING!!

I start yelling at the no longer around deer...'cause damn it, if it could cause that much damage, why the hell couldnt it have stayed around for dinner?!?!!!!!!!

oh well...next day, drive to a friends, where we pry the hood open (which involved a 300lb man sitting on hte middle, while we pulled ont he latch...:) got it open, and straightened it...nothing we could do about the fender.. they didnt belive it went over, at first..until they noticed the trail of hair from acccross the top of the windshield, most ofthe way back of the top..:(

oh well...did i ever tell ya the one about when my 68 ate the orange barrel? no? well.....myaaybe later..:)

-- !........................... The not so Keen one.............................! http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb ex'74 Super Links to a few pics of my VW's ex '68 Beetle '75 Retired Westy-Canadian Model, Cody '69 Westy-Itchigo xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us <Pic's Coming Soon!>