Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:55:52 -0700
From:         "Will Wood" <wkwood@burgoyne.com>
Subject:      Re: self-adjusting brakes?

It's possible, however the Late Type II brakes are larger, as are the wheel cylinders for the rear brakes vs. a Type III. I've never attempted this on any late model Type II or Vanagon. On my Type II conversions (where I use IRS suspension) I replace the Type I or Type III wheel cylinder with one off of the front of a 68-71 beetle. It's the same length, but has a larger piston area. I also get all the advantages of self adjusting brakes. I've only done this on early Type IIs (up to '67) but the brakes work great. My problem is now, trying to get disks with the early 205MM five bolt pattern that will fit on my early IIs.

---------- > From: David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Re: self-adjusting brakes? > Date: Friday, November 29, 1996 10:11 PM > > hmm....slightly off topic, but not realy so... > > who out there has converted the ol' non self adjusters to being so? > > imean, we have people putting t-3 irs into everything from ghias and > bugs, to buggys, so why not v-gon brakes in a loaf? hmm..:) > > <just got tired of adjusting mine...:) > and not being able to get the bastards bled! > > > ..david > > -- > !........................... > The not so Keen one.............................! > http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb > ex'74 Super Links to a few pics of my VW's > ex '68 Beetle > '75 Retired Westy-Canadian Model, Cody > '69 Westy-Itchigo xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us > <Pic's Coming Soon!> > > > > > On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Will Wood wrote: > > > When you install a new drum or a new set of brakes, you'll need to tighten > > up the adjustment via the adjustment window on the backing plate. Once > > adjusted, the automatic system (backing up and braking) will cause the > > racheting device to "automatically" adjust the brakes. However, if the > > cable or other necessary components are bound up (with brake dust or rust) > > or if the rachet wheel is damaged (by an over zealous screw driver) the > > auto adjust won't work. Check the adjustment every six months, or if your > > pedal starts going further towards the floor. Since you're fronts are disc > > brakes, when you gain pedal travel (brakes working less effectively) it's a > > sign of one of two things, the rears are out of adjustment or you have > > water or air in the brake system. > > > > > > ---------- > > > From: Scott Maurer <smaur@worldnet.att.net> > > > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > > > Subject: self-adjusting brakes? > > > Date: Wednesday, November 27, 1996 12:03 AM > > > > > > I replaced the rear brake shoes on my '84 Vanagon GL. The Bently manual > > > says they will self adjust and not to adjust the emergency brake linkage > > > until they do (I think). > > > A mechanic with VW said they won't self adjust, that you have to manually > > > adjust them through the backing plate adjusting hole. He said not to > > adjust > > > the emergency brake linkage, the brake shoe adjustment will take up the > > > slack. I attempted this but seem to have had each turn returned by the > > self > > > adjusting spring and lever. > > > > > > I searched the archives and found discussion of self adjusting by driving > > in > > > reverse and braking hard? > > > > > > I'm concerned about driving without an emergency brake. When replacing > > the > > > brake shoes, I shifted the wheel cylinder piston and some fluid leaked > > from > > > one side. I hope this was because I pushed the piston out too far and not > > a > > > failing wheel cylinder? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Scott Maurer > > > '84 Vanagon GL > >