Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 Dec 1996 20:57:38 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor@phoenix.net>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon plea from western Belize

Ron Lussier wrote: > > At 12:33 AM 12/9/96 -0700, Gary Meek wrote: > > On Sat, 07 Dec 1996 09:56:37, Ron Lussier wrote: > > > >>Don't give aid to missionaries. They destroy indigenous cultures. > > > > > >Ron: > > > > It's disappointing to hear you say that. When you are in need > >of a battery boost or are mired in the mud, I hope that when you > >make that plea for help, that the person coming to your aid does not > >interrogate you first to ascertain if your values, conduct or lifestyle > >are offensive to the rescuer before he/she decides whether or not to > >throw you that tow line. > > > > Here's a plea for help. Can't we just unconditionally help out? > > I would generally agree with you in this regard, but I really do feel that > missionaries are for the most part practicing cultural genocide. I > wouldn't expect someone to interrogate me, but then again, I would also not > flag someone down and tell them that I was spreading the Good News about > David Koresh to the ignorant savages.Ron, You continue! I am bewildered at your apparent indignation at helping a fellow Vanagon owner. You state it is due to him being a missionary and that this attaches him to a book you read stating they destroy indigenous peoples. I think your pronouncement of this mans guilt is certainly shallow. For instance, I am presently in the US Naval reserve. And there are numerous well referenced books telling of accounts of pilots bombing, strafing and otherwise obliterating orphanages in WWI/WWII/Korea/Vietnam wars. I flew for the military but did not do these things. Would you help me find a part for my Vanagon? Or would my association with those atrocities not allow any help for me? As well, you drive a car, and cars are known to kill people (even truly destroy cultures! witness the Ahmish holdouts!). Therefore you as well have a rather solid connection to destruction of indigenous peoples by your close association with technology that kills them and takes their heritage from them? You drive the Vanagon, No? I find it interesting you site a book as your reference. I personally know Christian missionaries selflessly dedicated to housing, clothing and feeding people in need world-wide, they are the type of people who would do anything for any person of any color, ethnic background or political persuasion in need of help. And yes they do teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, is this so bad? I say, when someone needs help, help him or her. Kindness is our gift to humanity. Regards Mark B. Magee 87 GL 77K