Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 1996 01:05:47 -0500 (EST)
From:         David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject:      Re: Please help my 81 Vanagon live again :(

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Doug wrote:

> After dropping the gas tank to have a leak repaired, my faithful companion > refuses to start. Turning the key brings on the usual lights, but the engine > won't crank over. The battery is fully charged and I've had the starter > checked and cleaned all the crud off of the contacts, but still no go. The > really scary part is that I think the engine is seized up because I can't > even turn the engine over by hand. How could this happen? The thing ran like > a champ before having the tank r&r'ed. It did set for a few weeks, but I've > done that before and had no problem getting her/him to run. > > I guess the bottom line is: What magic spirit do I use to un-seize the engine?

oh boy!! oh boy...is the clutch pedal seeming to work ok? what about neutral...

let me think...flywheel caught up on something? starter spin? does it engauge?

engine mount bolts good and tight?

you didnt have the plugs out while it sat, did ya?

hmm...if all that is ok, then i'd say squirt some oil in the plug holes...a goodly amount maybe...and CAREFULLY start wiggleing the engien backand forth....move at all? if not, there is always the brute force mthod..

tow it, or push it down a goo hill......cluch in, tranny in anywhere between 2 and 4...your personal preference...and hope it gets it moving...try it w/ ignition OFF, since you just want to free the engien up...

just random thoughts...others can prolly help more.....david

-- Mo.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.oM Keeper Of The Light: Pushing Back The Darkness at http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb/west/darkness.html

ex'74 Super http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb ex '68 Beetle '75 Retired Westy-Canadian Model, Cody '69 Westy-Itchigo xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us