Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:43:18 -0700 (MST)
From:         vanbondo@primenet.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Insurance~RV rates (no go for my Westys)

Haggling with State Farm on insurance rates now that we are to the point that we ought to cover our tuchas regarding the '67 Westy RFH. I was talking to "Dick," the insurance agent's "associate." She asked whether it was an RV after hearing that the '67 was a "camper." VanBondo said "You Bet it is!" He was then asked if it was self contained, had cabinetry?, extendable fiberglass top?, ice box?, bed? yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! OK, great I'll call the underwriter for you. You should save half of the rate that old "Dick" quoted you! Cool! <Not!> It turns out that in order for State Farm to consider my vehicles as an RV that it has to contain a bathroom. WHAT!? I told her that we had a toilet (I lied thinking of runnin out ans getting a port-a-pooper. She reiterated that it had to be a toilet/bathroom "like an airplane." So to insure a '67 Westy, '83 Westy, and a '57 Single cab for an eight (8) mile commute for Rusty and a three (3) mile commute for "Cherry," Limiting the RFH to 7500 miles per year, with no medical coverage, no accidents, claims, or citations for five years, including the home owners policy, full comp and collision, multicar "discount," and no drivers under the age of 18 in the house hold, the monthly will be $186.49 per **month!** PHEW!

The part of this that pisses me off is that we moved closer to downtown Phoenix to reduce the commutes, do our part of reducing pollution, and get closer to aging parents. Even though we reduced our 25 mile commutes (one way, each person) to 8 and 3 miles we are in a "higher incident" ZIP code. So we could live in the suburbs and bang up and down the freeways, as we did for 16 years, and live in the formerly "country/rural" area where the traffic is similar to Pasadena, California during the Rose Bowl and pay a much lower rate! <nearly half> Eat me! The truth is that traffic is much lighter downtown Phoenix, especially during the weekends! (Pssst, dont tell anyone our secret). So, all of clowns who travel way out to the far acres to escape "everyone" are actually pounded with "everyone's" traffic. We pay our dues to *not* be in "the country" ;-) with everyone else.

The toilet goes in this weekend. So much for Vintage/Stock. We will install the wings to be "like an airplane" next weekend. Now I know why the BFY logo is designed as it is! ;-) -VanBondo\

In the mean time insurance underwriters at State Farm ought to pull their heads outta their butts...