Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:30:58 -0700 (MST)
From:         meek@oanet.com (Gary Meek)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon TD: left motor mount

Mike: >Thanks to Brent, I have just learned that the Quantum 1.6 TD manifold and >turbo fits in a non-turbo Vanagon diesel with no modification of the >standard left-side motor mount. This manifold has its exhaust outlet >between cylinders 3 and 4.

Actually, the Q exhaust manifold discharges right at #4 cylinder. The Quantum years to look for are 1982 to 1985 with the 1.6 litre TD block. (Let me know if you find a Q station wagon with five speed, and CY engine. You take the engine; I'll take everything else.)

The 1982 and 1983 Audi 4000S with the 1.6 litre TD has the same configuration of intake and exhaust manifolds, if you're looking around for parts. (Let me know if you find one with an automatic transmission; I'm looking for that E-mode tranny.)

>I already know from experience (the hard way) that the Jetta 1.6 TD >turbo, which is mounted on the exhaust manifold outlet between cylinders 2 >and 3, will not fit the Vanagon because of interference with the left-side >motor mount.

Did you have a jetta manifold setup which you tried to install?

>My question is, what is the configuration of the factory Vanagon TD? Did >they use the Quantum type manifold and turbo and the standard diesel motor >mount, or did they use a special motor mount for the turbo application?

The factory configuration is as you described above. The motor mount stayed the same. The air intake, however, is another story. The OEM part used is a rubber tube that makes a sharp hairpin turn or two to route around the motor mount on its way to the turbo intake. This is poor design on the part of VW. So much for the laminar flow of the air going to the turbo intake, eh? The turbo intake is only about 35 mm away from the motor mount when installed! They should have bored a hole 65 mm D, through the motor mount (reinforcing it where necessary) and routed the intake tube straight-line into the turbo intake.

Is it your hope to turn your van into a turbo-charged beast? If so, do you plan to keep the CS non-turbo block, or look for a complete Audi or Quantum, with complete manifold set-up?

gary meek sherwood park, alberta, canada

82 Vanagon GL 1.6 litre turbo-diesel 83 Quantum SW 1.6 litre turbo-diesel 83 Audi 4000S 1.6 litre turbo-diesel