Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 02 Dec 1996 10:08:28 -0800
From:         Ian Webb <ian_webb@virginia.edu>
Subject:      Test Drive: 97 Camper

FWIW...

This weekend I was up in Columbus, Ohio visiting my sister. My nephew was itchin' to go look at a new Jetta GLX, so I tagged along to see if they had any campers in stock. We went over to the Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin, OH and sure enough, they had two in stock (they had three, but it left the lot the day they got 'em).

It was a very dreary, rainy, cold day out, so noone was really in there buying anything--just a bunch of families and kids looking at really NICE cars (they also sell BMW, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Bentley, Porsche, Lotus, Land Rovers, Audi, & Hummers). No serious buyers in there, so the salesman didn't mind chatting with me. He was the one who suggested test drive, admitting he hadn't been in one and didn't know anything about it.

The one on the showroom floor was priced at $24,940 for the van, with another $9,607 for the conversion for a total sticker price of $34,547. Without really trying, and being honest about not being a serious buyer, they knocked $1000 off the top, making it $33,547. The one I drove was about $700 more because it had the optional middle seat (which rattled thru the whole test drive...it either wasn't installed properly, or was of very poor design: we even tried twice to quiet it).

The first thing we did was get on the interstate, and the V6 140 horsepower motor easily took it to 75 without a problem and we had plenty more power to go. I didn't get to push it too far, because the day-after-turkey day shopping traffic was heavy. It was extremely quiet and smooth. It was a windy day, and while on the interstate for about 15 miles there wasn't any of the wind buffeting that I experience in my 90 camper. The visablility was very good to the front and out the rear it was improved with the placement of the AC unit in the dash.

then we headed over to some "S" curves. Why I don't know, but I guess it was because this guy was used to selling high-dollar sports cars. The first set of curves we took at about 40 mph (he told me a Ferrari spyder takes these curves at about 70, and an Audi A4 quattro at 63. The second set (slightly tighter) we took at 35 (Ferrari spyder took it at 60, and the A4 at 55). He was convinced we could have done both about 10 mph faster, but I was satisfied with the way it handled in the curves.

All in all, I was pleased at the way it drove, its power, the layout of the dash, etc. I was impressed at the VW part and some of the Winnabego stuff, but saw a few disappointing details in the camper part. Dissapointing stuff included the low ground clearance (probably about 5 or 6 inches with the propane fixtures), the new table systems, and the comfort of the beds (both beds had about an inch and a half of padding, if that much) and of course, the price tag.

the funny part was that they offered me $9000 trade in on my 90 camper if I wanted to talk turkey. ha.

ian

--

Ian Webb, Assistant Director University of Virginia Roanoke Center Phone: (540) 857-7922 Fax: (540) 857-7936 ian_webb@virginia.edu