Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:21:23 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Engine Tests Interpretation ?

Thanks for your concise explanation of the power balance test. It has helped in my understanding of what the test does. If you don't mind, I'd also like to get more of your thoughts related to the results of further testing (leak down test, compression check).

To complete the story, I'll include a bity more detail on the engine's history. The engine was rebuilt in 94'. I replaced *everything* in the case, including push rods, tubes, hyd lifters, heads (remanufactured, from GEX in L.A., Cal), oil pump, air flow sensor, clutch, pressure plate, etc. All stock parts. This was my first solo rebuild. The rebuilt engine has only 15K miles on it, about 50:50 city:highway. To qualify, city driving were short trips around town, highway usage no daily commuting, but long trips, 6+ hour RT excursions. Change oil/filter 600 miles after rebuild and every 3K miles after that. It runs fine at idle and high speed (60-65 mph, I don't drive faster than this). Vehicle was driven in Nebraska (cold Winters, hot Summers) up til' this past Summer. It's now in S. Cal. It has a hard time climbing steep hills or long, gradual grades, but what VW doesn't!

Power Compression Leak Leak Down Balance Test Down Leak Spots

#1 73 48 16/100 Head Gasket, Exhaust, Rings 2 62 138 95/100 Rings 3 16 98 96/100 Intake, Rings, Exhaust 4 5 142 98/100 Rings

I do know that the head gasket on the #1 cylinder is leaking (I can actually hear it squeak), so this easily explains the low compression and low leak down value. This is confirmed by the finding that the pressure loss primary site is the head gasket. I am VERY confused on how/why a cylinder that is leaking as bad as it is is producing the majority of the power for this vehicle (Power Balance 73).

No. 2 cylinder seems fine to me. Good compression and very little pressure leakage.

No. 4 is a mystery. Good to excessive compression and very little pressure leakage, yet it contributes very little, if any, power to the vehicle. My first guess is that the mechanical innards are working fine, but that the spark plug is not firing. This would explain the high HC (1000 ppm pre-cat, unburnt fuel) in the exhaust. I'm going to check the electrical/electronic components , as well as injector function. Your thoughts ... ?

No. 3 is another mystery. Low compression (typical for no. 3 on the air-cooled engines), seems to jive with the leakage via three separate routes, but the leakage rate is no better or worse than No. 4 or No. 2. This would indicate that any leakage through the valve ports has a more deterimental effect on engine power than leakage via the rings and head gaskets. But can this differential cause-effect account for such a lack of power from the cylinder (as indicated by 16 power balance value) ? There is also the possibility that the plug is not firing on this cylinder either ? I'll perform the same tests here as I do for the No.3. More of your thoughts ... ?

Thanks, Chris

82' Vanagon