Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         11 Dec 96 14:30:56 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Increase in performance?? (long)

Matt posted: > In my pursuit to increase gas mileage I came across this item . It is a > device that fits over the fuel line that reduces emissions and increases gas > mileage. Is this a hoax or a scam???

Here's the stuff from the site about the product, with my comments:

Drawing of a box like apparatus around a fuel line with clusters broken up after device. ----- start their sales pitch stuff ----- as found on the 'net ----- not a recommendation -----

Magnetic Fuel Saver For Carbureted & Fuel-injected Vehicles

Increase Fuel Economy an Average of 11.6% and SAVE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS EACH YEAR... for Only $19.95!

You go farther on a tank of gas! Dramatically reduces pollution (see chart below) Keeps fuel injector nozzles clean and removes carbon and varnish buildup your engine will have more power, run smoother, last longer and require less maintenance. Eliminates need for expensive high-octane fuel and additives (unless recommended by manufacturer)

The cost of this device is a very small price to pay for the money you'll save, the performance boost you'll enjoy and the good you'll be doing for the environment!

When gasoline remains in your tank for a while, the fuel molecules start to cluster. The molecules on the inside of these clusters can't be exposed to the oxygen necessary for combustion. The result: Incomplete fuel burn with the unburned molecules emitted as pollution or remaining inside your engine as damaging carbon/varnish deposits.

----- start soap box mode ----- They never qualify what "awhile" means, 1 hour, three weeks, how much agitation is needed to keep this from happening (say like driving around?) Worry when they leave out stuff like this.

Clusters of what? Fuel molecules, as opposed to whatever else is in there? Again be concerned when they don't sufficiently and scientifically describe the action their product performs.

Of course, no info on sample size, range of mileage improvements, etc ----- stop SBM ----

This compact device fits easily over the in-bound fuel line (straps included, no special tools required). It delivers an abrupt magnetic field designed to break up these fuel clusters, exposing all molecules to the oxygen and assuring the best fuel burn possible! Works on every vehicle, every time the EPA Accepted Laboratory Test and repeated demonstrations at authorized diagnostic/emissions inspection centers prove it.

EPA Accepted Laboratory Results for Fuel Saver

Before After Change HC .430 .328 -24% CO 3.354 1.100 -68% NOx 3.172 2.711 -15% CO2 330.628 299.322 -10% MPG 26.447 29.526 +11.6% *

*HFET fuel economy per 40 CFR 660.113-88

"After performing the HFET fuel economy per 40 CFR 600.113-88 EPA Accepted Test...we see a significant decrease in hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide and oxides of Nitrogen, and an 11.6% increase in fuel economy after installing the Fuel Saver on the test vehicle." Peter DiBernardi, President Liphardt & Associates, Inc. EPA Accepted Testing Laboratory ----- end of sales pitch ----- This just means that the LAB is accepted by the EPA for something, not that the test ITSELF is accepted. One more thing to be wary of.

If you are interested, in doing something like this, save your self $20 and go get some magnets and duct tape them on your fuel line. Report back to the list on your results. From their description, use the strongest you can find. Can't hurt, other than the ridicule from others as they see stuff ductaped to your fuel line.

But, if it DOES improve anything then you'll have the last laugh.

$20 for a pair of magnets!? Free enterprise at work! Get what you can before they catch on to you. Then again if they tried to sell them for $3, nobody would think that they would do anything. Just like art, the higher the price, the more likely the sale (to some extent anyway)

I'm NOT slamming this product, it might just work, I would like to see things presented in a believeable manner, at least scientifically plausible. They didn't provide enough info for me to say it is good. If I find a couple of small strong magnets I might try it. Can't hurt, as I said, even if all it does is trap the steel particles flushing out of my tank!

- Jeff '80 Westi