Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:56:25 -0500
From:         "Gregory Mitch Daughtry" <gmdaugh@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      How to ship a van across the US?

Hello all,

I need to get my van from Raleigh, NC to Portland, OR and I don't want to drive it (for reasons, see below). I also have a paultry amount of personal belongings, all of which will fit into the van. I have to be in Portland by January 6, and I cannot leave NC until after Christmas day.

If any of you have experience that may help me make a decision as to how to do this, I would greatly appreciate some input. Here are some of the options that I want to investigate: -) renting space on a Car Carrier and shipping it there -) having a moving company ship it along with my furniture -) renting a truck and towing it there myself

The question I am most interested in from this list is the feasability of having the van towed/car-carried/shipped across the US. Are there transport companies that can do something like this? Has anyone shipped a vehicle across the US in a car carrier or by some other form? How much money might I be looking at? Who might I contact for more information? Are there any options that I do not know about?

You might ask why I do not want to drive it there, so here are the answers to that question: 1) This would be my fifth trip across the US in the past year and a half, and I've kind of seen enough of Kansas and the world's largest groundhog. 2) The van isn't running well, and I don't have any money to get it fixed. 3) I have furniture to ship, as well. 4) I want to spend my small break between grad school and the real world (HA!) climbing in central Oregon and not driving a rented Uhaul towing a van across the US alone. 5) My company will reimburse me for the expenses, but only AFTER I show up for work (see money to fix van). Plus, I don't need transportation or furniture immediatley. I can have it all arrive after I get the money to have it shipped. 6) I don't have the mental capacity to want to deal with diagnosing my van problems right now. 7) I'm tired.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give.

-- - Greg Daughtry -