Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:37:50 -0800
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      Re: 87 GL Radiator Replace: How Many times to refill rese

Pat,

Thanks for checking on me! Yes I am currently running. Didn't do a dern thing to fix it. Thus, my current situation is probably temporary. I did finish checking the wiring (for the 3rd time with my very reliable multimeter) and no breaks. I'm still suspicious of the coolant system, however. I've only taken the van on short trips in town. It seems to be getting warm very quickly (i.e. from here to the post office, the needle gets to the light). Does not get any higher and fan doesn't come on, but seems to get there quicker than it used to. All you yankees, keep in mind that it's starting out at 65 or 70 down here anyway. I want to try to bleed the system again, but don't have any antifreeze to put into it and think the coolant might be a little weak as it is (when I swapped out the coolant temp sensor, more gushed out than expected--used what antifreeze I had and had to use water to finish filling it--probably a 30/70 a/w ratio. Given the stuff already in the system was 60/40, I should still be okay, probably around 50/50--but don't want to push it by adding more water.) I have to go to Baton Rouge to get the antifreeze I use.

Now it may just be me and an overly sensitive ear, but I hear fluid swishing about when I start the van moving (especially right after I start it, backing up in the driveway). It could be the fuel tank--only about 1/3 tank of gas. It sounds like right behind the driver's seat. I'm sure it probably is the fuel, but I don't recall ever hearing that before. Again, probably an over sensitive ear? Anyway, that swishing makes me leary of the coolant and the possibility of air. Since I've only driven it short distances, it may not be getting out of the closed loop long enough to let the air pass to the expansion & refill tanks.

Oh well, I go Christmas shopping next week and will probably put it to the test then.

Thanks again for checking on me! Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle

Pat.Spragge@wj.com wrote: > > Tonya, > > Are you back up and running OK? Haven't heard from you in awhile about the > problems you were having. Did you get them fixed? If so, what was it? > > Pat S.