Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Dec 1996 23:38:48 -0800
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      CCC's Jan. location revealed!

Time to unravel the mystery about the location of our upcoming cabin gathering, Jan. 17-19th in the Tahoe area. Thanks to the generosity of one of our very own list-members, we have a family cabin in the area near Homewood in Tahoe. Jeffrey Carver and family have bravely offered to let us all convene there. I asked Jeff to write up info on the place, and it's appended below. The price will be minimal (read on), and I think it will suit our needs nicely, plus be in an excellent location.

Please be aware that there is no smoking there, so quit now. :)

Also, I advise everyone get and carry along chains or cables, since this is obviously snow country this time of year. Or bring your syncro.

We'll work on the potluck planning as time draws nearer. Stay tuned.

Here's what Jeff was kind enough to write up for us (please save):

--

Martha and the CCC's - (sound like a doo wop group!)

Here are some peculiars, I mean some particulars on the January CCC camping? site. Hope you can *rough* it with us.

Herewith are some of the hardships one would have to undertake in order to participate in this event.

Endure a night in a cabin with 2 bedrooms, and additional dorm style beds for about 16 or more people. One bedroom can accommodate a play pen, porta crib, etc. for a toddler, infant or a small child on the floor.

The other bedroom has an additional single bed available for a couple of kids or one larger one, etc.

This cabin was built in the early 70's by our family, so it reflects a personal touch. More functional than fancy, so all we ask is that you treat it well.

The cabin is located off highway 89 near Sunnyside, for those familiar with the area. It's about 3 miles south of Tahoe City. Detailed directions to be made available at a later date. The cabin does have a phone.

We will have to split the $80 cost for having the driveways cleared, and another $10 each for assisting with utilities (that's $10 per person for the weekend, not per night, it just makes bookkeeping really easy).

For the *almost true* campers, we can run an A/C power cord out to your parked camper. Just let us know, so enough extensions can be brought. I have several long ones, heavy duty ones, and multiple connectors. For those of you with a gas/propane powered heater, YOYO.

There is only room for 4 vehicles on the cabin side, and about 5 more on the other side of the road. This may mean some pooling to get us all there. Parking will be the limiting factor.

The dorm style beds fold out from between the roof rafters and are supplied with a mattress or foam pad. Bedding or sleeping bags would need to be brought with you.

A full kitchen with all usual utensils, stove, oven, microwave, etc., but alas no dishwasher. Huge cutting boards, (yes plural) for ease of meal preparation.

The kitchen, eating area and living room are all open to each other, forcing people to actually communicate with each other, oh NO!

The living room has a woodstove that supplies the proper atmospheric conditions along with the gas furnace to warm us at night. (Unless you really WANT to get up and stoke the fire!)

This is, remember, within the Lake Tahoe basin and ALL waste water has to be pumped out of the basin for treatment. So to that end, (groan) there are only 1 1/2 bathrooms, showers are limited to 5 minutes. There is a hot tub/spa off the back deck, so it's usually lot's easier to rinse off out there than use the shower.

Lest you think that this is all in one gigantic, humongoid cabin. It's a modest 1700 square feet in there, just laid out with lots of people in mind.

Once the upstairs beds are folded up and out of the way, the table tennis (ping pong to some) and bumper pool tables can be brought out.

Only one bedroom is downstairs, so early to bed folk can sneak off, beat off the table tennis types and go to bed early. Late to bed folk can hang around the wood stove, at the kitchen table playing cards or whatever.

Above the upstairs bedroom is a loft for kids to play or sleep in.

I am planning on bringing my 3 kids and SO. We have (2) 9 year old boys and a 5 year old girl. So come with your kids, and you'll have an excuse to go play in the snow!

Several play saucers are available, but to be sure, bring your own, but not necessary. Some cross country and snowshoeing equipment is available, so if interested, bring appropriate clothing. Good way for newbis to try it out.

An assortment of games and some reading material are available to keep some amused.

There is ample area immediately outside the cabin for snowplay. A well used XC trail is across the creek.

For those who don't want to hang out at the cabin (teens or thereabouts maybe?) the road the cabin is on goes to the backside of Alpine Meadows (Sherwood lift). A shuttle bus goes up the road in the morning delivering skiers to the slopes and returns in the afternoon. No driving necessary, buy your ticket on the bus! NO snowboards BTW.

Bigger snowplay areas are a short drive away.

Homewood ski area is about 3 miles down the road. Don't know about snowboards.

Blackwood Canyon is a couple of miles down the road for the more serious cross country types.

---

end