Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         13 Dec 96 07:06:11 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Rear Brake Drum Puller

Well, the technical part of this, beat the everloving cr*p out of it. Don't forget to use a little Liquid Wrench or somesuch at the hub area.

Now down to the finer points. Assuming that all bolts are removed. Get big screwprydriver and place between drum and plate that holds the brake goodies. With other hand use judiciously applied smacks with a hammer, moving around. Warning, the drum may pop off and land in your lap. =8-0 This didn't work on mine :-(

Next level of mayhem. I found that by dismantling my cheapo gear puller I could wedge one of the ends of the puller arms between the drum and plate rotate it 90 degrees and tuck the other end of the arm in the same space. This results in applying a LOT of force on the drum in three spaced locations.

About this time the kiddies were appearing to join daddy in the fun of beating the bus with a hammer. Had to shoo'em away, fearing the drum would sail into the neighbour's yard. I, being the type with a small dislike for flying brake drums, also positioned myself at all times away from the launch trajectory.

Anyway back to the story. After applying LOTS of force on the drum/hub interface, I walked away (around the other side of the bus) to get a bigger hammer. Remember if it don't fit, force it, and it if STILL don't fit, use a bigger hammer.

A few steps later, TWANG. The drum separated from the hub all by itself! (dang, I wanted to use my bigger hammer). Landed about 1 foot away from the hub.

Hey, just wait a minute, I've been fibbin' all along. Just remembered that I was doing this on my '64 Ford truck. Anyway I like the story, it's friday, and I would do this on my bus if I had too, though the brake backing plates are a little less beefy.

Be creative in the ability to apply steady force on the drum. A hammer sets up a vibration that will eventually loosen the drum.

Don't forget to apply a little anti-sieze upon re-assembly.

> Well, my '85 Westy is making some strange metallic squealing noises > out of the rear brakes when they are cold. I want to check them so I > consulted the Bentley Manual for the disassembly procedure. Bentley > shows a special tool that looks like a gear puller to remove the rear > drums. Is there an easy & safe way to remove the rear drums without > this tool? Could you use a standard gear puller (not that I have one > of these either but I am more willing to buy this tool)? Any tips or > tricks to pull the rear drums would be apperciated.

- Jeff '80 Westi and a '64 Ford Crewcab