Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         02 Dec 96 11:13:48 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Welding 101

To which Jeff replies -

Using a battery to weld CAN be done. ALWAYS disconnect both cables from battery, stray electrons can fry unintended objects.

As for the starting voltage being higher. Not exactly right. On most welding machines a high frequency current is generated to assist in starting the arc, then backs off. Starting without the high freq is tricky, but doable. It's called a scratch start, one starts the arc by scratching the workpiece with the weld rod to generate an arc, then welding sustains arc, distance between weld rod and workpiece regulates power.

Just plunging in there results in a great big short, with your weld rod welded onto the workpiece, overloading the circuit and hopefully shutting you down. Using a raw battery would result in destruction of the battery, boom. This is not for the timid, this is not for the weak minded, this is as a last resort. Check with serious 4WD people, this is something they do, and use for serious troubles in the boonies.

Flux core is well suited for automated welds, weld operators, and is supplied on a coil. Don't think it would be sturdy enough as a hand held electrode. Works well for a point and shoot weld setup.

Shielded rod is usually around 12 inches long, coated with flux except for about 2 inches to attach to the clamp. Would not work for a point and shoot weld setup, flux would crack off going through rollers, drive gear, etc.

- Jeff