Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:07:14 -0400
From:         gthaxter@msdcorp.com (Gary E Thaxter)
Subject:      Re: Safe highway speeds

> Can I cruise at 65 with no >worries? Can I go faster (downhill with a tail wind :) )? Please let >me know what you think. > >TIA, > >Matt

Hia Matt, I had (have) a 74 transporter (panel van) with the 1.8l engine (dual carbs). I took it on a trip from Northern Ontario, Canada to Los Cabos, Mexico about 5 or 6 years ago. I cruised at about 65 most of the time, and lots of times a bit faster. I never had a problem and the van made it all the way down and back without missing a beat. I found leaded gas in some places and thought I would give it a try. . . never ran better! (maybe just my imagination)

On my return trip, we were cruising along a long flat highway in California or Nevada, or somewhere, it was a nice warm night and I broke my speed record with it (actually my buddy was driving). My old record was about 93 mph, and he buried the needle (the needle started jumping after about 97 mph) That, of course is only what the speedo said. No Idea if I was really going that fast, but the whine and reverbs coming off the old 1.8 pretty much confirmed it. I wouldn't recommend holding it for very long if you are going to try, but it sure cleans the crap out.

My trip totalled 8000 miles (under $500 in gas) in about a month, and the engine ran fine for a couple of years after that. Too many startings in -40 degree weather eventually took its toll.

Is the 2.0 fuel injected? If so, are they governed? I don't know much about them.

I now drive an 85 transporter with a 1.9 wasserboxer (fuel injected), and kinda miss my old 1.8 :~(

Gary Thaxter 74 transporter (panel) 85 transporter (kombi?) looking at an 86 syncro