Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 1996 03:10:16 -0500 (EST)
From:         David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject:      Bus Speed Records..Was:  Safe highway speeds

hmm...

speed..

now..my speedo is ~10 mMph off at most places, but i regularly run it in the 80-90 range pretty much daily...never had any trouble...

of course, takes a while to get that way..

now..i asusme i'm runnign about 70-75, maybe 80..since i stay with the "medium" speed traffic in 75mpg speed zones..(you know, those going fast enough to pass the slow and semi slow, but slow enough to get outta the way of the porche's, bmw's, and others who dont mind speeding tickets..:)

now..as for a top speed..

0.

as in, the speedo on my '69 pegged itself on its own starting point.

back in augusta we have this streatch of I520 that is a VERY steep grade, and long, and straight..and low traffic..especialy at night...

steep enough at least that i cant do more than 50 (real speed) up it, no matter how hard i push it..has its own "truck" lane..only place in agusta that does..its prolly 5 or so miles long...from top to bottom..

now....this is where i always took a car to test the top speed..:)

last tiem i drove that stretch, i had two cargo carrier's in the luggage rack...(rear rack..)

one weighed about 200 lbs...tools...some of them..:)

the other maybe 25 lbs...spare parts, and other misc...

bungee'd on right nice...passin this truck, s-10 type...right as i get in front of him, i see in my 3 mirros, the box...sorta catch a glimpse of sparkle..i can image what HE saw!!:)

i stand on the brake, and hold the emergancy too...and hit the flashers at the same time..

take me a good half to 3/4 of a mile to stop..

start to back up, then think better of it..check the traffic, and vreech! do a U...get back, and between the top of the box, and the tirechains, (first to stop, and last...) is about 30 or 40 yards...

i start collecting the stuff..good thing i knew what was in there!!:)

2 tire chains...and thier retainign straps...a scissor jack...2 fan belts...a carb..a headlight..ooo! gone..a can of paint...gone..an lots more..

anhow..the box was...er..is a rubbermaid...still whole...works fine, unless you want it to hold water..:)

all four corners are riped open..eventually i want to ge a pictur on the 'page...

anyhow...enough stoopid friday stories.......david

ps...the box came off right at P on the speedo..:) this WASNt the record time...that time i didnt have anything on thetop..:)

...david

-- Mo.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.oM Keeper Of The Light: Pushing Back The Darkness at http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb/west/darkness.html

ex'74 Super http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb ex '68 Beetle '75 Retired Westy-Canadian Model, Cody '69 Westy-Itchigo xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us