Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 1996 10:35:50 -0400
From:         zwoods@tiac.net (Zach Woods)
Subject:      Re: 87 Syncro Westy poltergeist

Bob -

I too have an '87 Syncro Westy (but would guess the solution I am about to describe would hold true for any Vanagon with a similarly designed Distributor).

I had exactly the same symptoms (engine would stutter, stall and eventually not start at all) and exactly the same trouble getting anyone to either believe me or diagnose the problem. The solution turned out to be: REPLACE THE DISTRIBUTOR!

Within the distributor there are 1 or more tiny wires that can not be easily accessed or replaced. I believe they go to the Hall Sending Unit (and on some models it may be possible to repair the distributor with a new Hall Sending Unit - on my '87 the distributor internal bits were not available and it was for all intents and purposes a sealed unit). What happens is the following: the wires wear and eventually break within their insulation. The problem starts as a stutter because the wires are only frayed giving occasionally bad contact. Then as the wires break and pull apart the stutter becomes a stall and eventually the wires have pulled far enough apart to break the connection permanently and the vehicle will not start. As the vehicles engine runs vibration and heat will cause the wires to pull apart. As the vehicles engine cools the wires may come back into contact allowing the engine to run as "good as new". There is basically no way to test this or find the broken wires because they look good from the outside. Insist that your dealer give you a NEW distributor (they aren't cheap and I feel that VW should pay for this one given their inability to come to understand the problem!)

I do wish VW would become more aware of this problem! It can cause no end of discouragement!

Best of Luck & Best of the Holidays!

Zach

P.S. Can you tell that this poltergeist drove me insane over a 3 or so year period!?!?!?! Finally the van quit completely and it was then possible to reliably diagnose the problem. I haven't had the problem since replacing the distributor - can't guarantee this is your problem but I will bet a LOT of money on it!

*-----------------------------*-----------------------* | Zach Woods | ZMedia - Multimedia | | 28 Middlesex Circle, Apt. 6 | Mac - Digital Imaging | | Waltham, MA 02154 USA | Web Pages - Windows | *-----------------------------*-----------------------* | (617) 647-9130 | zwoods@tiac.net | *-----------------------------*-----------------------* | URL: http://www.tiac.net/users/zwoods | *-----------------------------------------------------*