Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:43:06 -0800
From:         chris mcclellan <housecal@sirius.pantek.com>
Subject:      is it safe to heat w/ propane while driving?

I just snagged a coleman vented furnace from a wrecked popup trailer (the poor man's propex I guess). I made a little metal template and a hanger for it and it slides nicely into the partly open window on either my 84 retro or 71 westy. It works nicely while parked & I was hoping to use it to heat the 71 for daily driving, but the guy at the welding place where i got the refillable 10# propane tank was really worried about the propane sloshing & causing an explosion. Does anyone have a take on this? I have a regulator--the kind used for gas grills--& like I said, everything is hunkey dorey when I'm not moving. Is this guy paranoid or can I get something to fix this problem? I never had any problem with "sloshes" while driving when I used a throw away canister on a Mr. Heater catalytic bolted to the floor of my old 73 bus, but I just don't feel like doing that anymore (something about being a daddy?) Can anyone confirm/deny what I've heard so I can get some heat or forget about it?

Also, any suggestions on where to put a non-westy propane tank in a non-poptop bus? Thanks

Chris