Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         16 Dec 96 08:48:44 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      '80 Brakes, rear, lack therof

Hi all - I found another new thrill this morning. Take the largest, steepest hill on your normal travels, at 5:30 am of course, icy roads, etc., and remove the ability to use your brakes! ==8-0 Yeeehaaa! Gonna limp home (uphill) and fix it there. Goin' home early, right after soccer at lunch.

Glad I keep my parking brake functional! Well, anyway I need to replace my LR slave cylinder and while I'm at it, replace some seals at the resevoir. Other than the two seals between the resevoir and the master cylinder, are there any other seals I need to purchase prior to disassembly? Couldn't find any in Bentley and Haynes, just tapping into *higher* knowledge. Been having a small leak up front somewhere for quite a while, waiting for the *right* opportunity, 'tis now methinks!

Obviously, I need rear brakes and at least one probably do both rear slaves. And now on to the second question section of my tale. How important is it to replace "other" things in drum brakes, such as springs, clips, washers, etc? <confession>I have never replaced any of this stuff in the past </confession>

On digest, and will be leaving for home in about 2 hours!

- Jeff '80 Westi, there's no stopping me now!