Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         16 Dec 1996 09:37:54 -0800
From:         "Wiesner Craig" <Wiesner_Craig@mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      High Pitched Thanks

Thanks to all that answered my high pitched sound!

The noise made me nervous and I did not want to drive it if it was something major. Due to the 24 hour+? delay in messages I called the Volkscafe (Peter) and got a prompt response.

It was a one-way check value in the diff. lock vacuum system. Since my diff lock is currently stuck I just turned the valve around and the noise has stopped.

Special thanks to Joel Walker who, hearing the frustration in my note, called me at home (San Jose Calif.) from Alabama when he was unable to get a response on the sick server. It was great to talk to him!

My diff lock is very stuck. When I originally bought the Van I tried the advise of a couple of list members and worked the shaft in and out with WD-40. After a couple of hours I could get it to move in and out, but only by prying it out with a bar and pounding it back with a hammer. Also when coming out it would take the housing with it. I just unlocked it and removed the actuator.

I was told you had to open the trans. to replace the lock. I was quoted $400 and advised to wait until I had to do any other tranny work and just add this on.

Is there an easy way to replace the locking assembly in the trans? Also, I now know that the motors need the heads rebuilt every 100k or so, How long do the transimissions last??????????

Craig Wiesner '86 Syncro Westy, 110k and going strong!