Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:05:05 -0500
From:         Jeff Diebolt <jdiebolt@up.net>
Subject:      Re: Timing the watercooled?

>Time it statically, engine off, as described in the Muir, How To Keep Your >Volkswagen Alive (pg. 108-109), and set it 5 degrees after TDC, 7.5mm to the >left of TDC mark(Bentley pg. 13.33)?

If you have a dual hose vacuum advance you cannot properly static time it unless you compensate for the retard. You have to either apply a vacuum to the retard side or find out the amount of degrees of retard that are produced when in the running state. The reason for this is total advance. A single hose advance, numbers are examples only, may give you 30 degrees total advance. A dual hose advance will have 15 degrees retard and 15 degrees advance. The total advance is still 30 degrees. If you set the timing without the retard compensated for or no vacuum your total timing will be reduced to 15 degrees advance. It'll be a real dog. When I set the timing dynamically I always remove the retard hose and check that the retard is working. The few times I've set the timing statically I applied vacuum to the retard hose and timed it. HTH Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt jdiebolt@up.net