Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Dec 1996 21:47:25 -0800
From:         jarnott@orednet.org (Jim Arnott)
Subject:      ASIAN: Fixed! VW Vanagon No Start - Floods

Hi group,

I subscribe to a technician's list and this has been kicking around for a couple of days. Thought that you all might be interested. It also illustrates the power of the net.

Jim Arnott

<snip> >_______________________________________________________ > >Greetings Techs!, > > Ahhh.. it feels good when you put a 600$ plus part in and it works! :) > > Thanx Greg Caron! Greg hit it pretty much right on the head. And thanx >Jim Arnott! for the valuable information he sent, and thanx to others >that responded with other excellent checks. I'd *thought* I'd checked >the injectors ok with my noid light, but, (Yep, Hehehe) after getting >Greg's message I thought I'd try measuring the pulse width on crank. >None!. (Guess that's what I get for doing my own thinking at times. :) >To make a long story short, I pulled an injector bank, and had a >helper crank it, and my, my, we have a solid "powerfull" stream of >fuel here! <Howl!> ECU was grounding the injectors wide open. Replaced >ECU, and she started right up. What I'm gathering why this happened >when the customer ran out of gas, was the shiny new battery in the >van, that I later find out needed a jump start after extended >cranking, so I assume somehow he knocked out the ecu. I'm still a bit >leary on the air flow meter, with the resistence changes, but customer >is happy with what he's got so we'll see him later on that. Also, >Changed the oil, and let the muffler dry out. Got so bad it eventually >came running out the tail pipe! <Howl!>. Jeez, think I might have a >clue about then huh? :) Thanx a million guys. Sure hope to pay back >the help. Have a great one. Thanx Brent! > >Rick Walton - Cmat, L1 >Precision Automotive >Tacoma, Wa. > ><--- ORIGINAL POST:---> >Greetings techs, and Happy Holidays! > >Hoping one of you fine VW Men might be able to steer me in the proper >direction here. 1987 Vw Vanagon with the Digifant (Bosch Afc) Gas >Injection System. >Vehicle was brought in on the hook with a no start. Customer said he >ran out of gas with it, and put a couple of gallons in, but didn't >help. > >What's happening is the engine is flooding big time. After a short >crank time (5 to 10 sec) pull the plugs and they are soaked. > >Remove Inj. Connectors and will run fine on propane. >Fuel pressure - Ok >Coolant temp good. - 4200ohms at 45degrees >Throttle valve switch - Ok. >Injector resistence good on all 4 - 15.8 to 15.9 ohms. >Intake air temp sensor - Ok. >Power good to all injectors and will pulse noid night on crank. > >The air flow meter is what I'm a bit confused with. Mitchell isn't >reall clear on the testing of it, and I just don't work on enough of >these beasties to know what is good and what isn't. Resistence between >pins 1 & 2 with flapper closed is 4.0k Ohms, and as flapper is opened >resistence starts moving up slowly and at 1/4 open is about 6.01K, now >as it moves farther is drops to under 5.0K then starts back up with full >open at 4.56K Ohms. This can't be right can it? Is there a proper way >to test this? > >Could I also have another problem that I'm not checking? > >Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. > <snip>