Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         18 Dec 96 07:29:11 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      '80 Brake Master Fixing Q's

I managed to get home without brakes Monday, with only having to stomp on the remnants of my blown LR cylinder twice. I've bulked up considerably on the right arm from using the handbrake.

The LR had been leaking for awhile befor it blew completely, I found, yuch, what a mess.

Proceeded to tear it all down. Tried to loosen handbrake adjustment nut, and managed to break the threaded rod, bummer. Off to the other '80 Westi to snag that cable, yippee, the nut moves. Managed to tear the rubber boot on the left handbrake cable. Glued it back together! with some superglue, along with three fingers to the tube of glue!

Been having a slow leak at the master cylinder. Time to look at it.

BTW, I didn't mention that my success rate for hydraulic fixing is pert near zero. Usually get the parts back together ok, but very rarely get all the air out of the lines.

Broke the piggy bank and bought a vacuum/pressure gizmo and will build a vacuum container. Not content to just BLEED the fluid, I intend to suck that system into compliance.

Enough background, time for the question portion of this saga. I'm taking tomorrow off to do the work.

Master cylinder, oy, lots of parts in there. Is it worth it to rebuild master, or get another?

Any tricks, tips, things to watch out for, and (this is where the list comes in handy) and things NOT to do?

I definitely see brake fluid ON the master cylinder under the attachment to the booster. I suspect (hope) this is from leaks from the boot between the reservoir and cylinder, and not a leak from the shaft end of the master. (still trying to avoid hydraulic work here) Confirmation of diagnosis, or am I in denial and should rebuild anyway?

What is brake cylinder grease? as referred to by Bentley.

So far, rubbing alcohol seems to do a good job of cleaning/removing brake fluid.

- Jeff '80 Westi, nothing to stop me now!