Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Dec 1996 08:36:25 -0800
From:         Robert Coffer <bobmark@worldnet.att.net> (by way of Ron Lussier <coyote@chaco.com>)
Subject:      Repairs to my 1984 Vanagon

I thought you might like to know my experiences with repairs to my 1984 Vanagon so that you might warn or inform others who may be totally stumped with their Vanagons.

I bought my Vanagon used (of course) 2 years ago, and ever since it's had a series of spells where it would either die or lose power. To make a long story short, I've not only spent more than $3000 on repairs, but I think I have found the problem, in case anyone is interested.

The most baffling problem I had was that the Vanagon would buck or falter while travelling at 55-60mph, then it would start losing power, and it did this UNPREDICTABLY with no set time passage. No amount of stepping on the gas would correct it. It would remain running, but wouldn't budge. If I turned off the key, it wouldn't start again. We (I and my repair shop) were aware that it wasn't getting enough gas, but the cause was not apparent. After replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure unit, inspecting the gas tank for foreign objects, installing a wiring harness on the airbox to guard against stray electrical voltages and surges, it STILL had the same problem. Therefore, with the gas system fully new and with good fuel injectors, I let it sit for 3 months until the next stage: saving up enough to replace the computer, ignition module, distributor and coil. Having done that just 2 weeks ago (12/6/96), it is running flawlessly. Of course, I don't have a guarantee it won't do it again, but no corrosion was found on any wiring terminals, and the van is operating quite differently than it ever has (more responsive, slower idling ability).

For anyone who's interested, I opted for all new parts on the electronics, simply because I would have been subject to possible bad parts if I'd got them from a wrecking yard. And, for every time it was in the shop, the labor charges were killing me. I suspect it was the computer module, because it can directly control fuel distribution. I have no proof of that, since one of the other 3 parts could have been the culprit. But in talking with a stranger who was getting out of his Vanagon one day prior to my last repair, he said he'd had the exact same problem, and the computer was the cause.

I hope this helps anyone who is exasperated to the point of junking their otherwise treasured Vanagon. There can be hope. Thanks for listening.

PS Things done to the Vanagon: installed a 500 watt voltage inverter from the isolated 2nd gel cell battery (34 amp hour...the battery charges when the van is running, and has been excellent in all conditions. I used gel because it had to be installed with the terminals on its side, facing forward). This allows me to use a Dirt Devil vacuum to clean the van in a matter of minutes, and the battery has a lot of guts, even though it is only 34 amp hours. It holds a charge for months in all temperatures.