Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         18 Dec 96 08:51:13 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Stuck Sliding Door

Tim -

The cable between the front and the rear latching mechanisms has come loose from the rear pin. Ther rear latch holds the door.

You'll have to remove the hardware on the panel, the front cover and the mechanism in the front that latches to the rear pillar.

Remove the panel itself and you'll see where the cable eye should be over a pin with a c-clip holding it in place. The c-clip probably came off. I found mine in the door.

Use a plastic paint scraper modified into a two prong fork to assist in removing the press-in fasteners that hold the panel.

You might be able to slide the pin and open the door.

While you are in there, you would be well advised to remove both front and rear latching mechanisms and clean and grease every moving part. When these start siezing, the handle gets the brunt of the wear and will pull out of the mechanism. I have a 25 cent fix if it happens, but do the prevention and no need fix.

- Jeff '80 Westi