Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Dec 1996 15:22:14 -0500
From:         "Gregory Mitch Daughtry" <gmdaugh@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Moving to Portland, Oregon from Raleigh, NC

Hello Volks,

Thanks to all who responded to my post on how to ship a van across the US.

Solution: drive the darn thing yourself and your tired little butt, too.

I am writing this to see if there are any kind listees that would offer up a phone number in case I get into trouble or a possible quick shower and a cup of coffee to a weary traveller along my route. Any suggestions as to places to stay (free only) and cool things to see (it's winter in the Sierras and man I sure would love to find some hot springs along the way).

I plan to carry a cell phone and a CB for emergencies. I am after all a tech weenie, right?

My tentative itinerary is below. It's quite tentative depending on my mood, which always changes, and the weather which changes even more. I can't begin to give you days that I will be in these places, cause I refuse to plan those details. I travel by feel. I just know the places I want to hit along the way.

I will unsubscribe from the list until I get back to work and have my accounts set up. If I run into trouble, My brother will contact the list on my behalf if I need help from the list. He knows nothing of VW's, though. Come to think, I'm not too much more knowledgeable than him. But I'm motivated.

So, here is my plan. I have to be in Portland, OR by January 6 (or maybe the 13th). I plan to leave Raleigh, NC on Friday the 20th of December. I have four days to make it to Phoenix, AZ where I will fly back to NC for the holidays on Christmas Eve. I fly back to Phoenix on the 29th where I will continue my journey.

My route will take me on I 40 West from Raleigh through the cities of: Asheville, NC Knoxville, TN Nashville, TN Memphis, TN Little Rock, AR

Then I will get on I 30 West from Little Rock through the cities of: Texarkana, AR Dallas, TX

Then I will get on I 20 West from Dallas through the cities of: Abilene, TX Odessa, TX Pecos, TX

Then I will get on I 10 West headed toward the cities of: El Paso, TX

I will be staying for a day or two in Hueco Tanks State Park in El Paso, TX shredding my fingertips on world class welded tuff (sp?). Oooooooohhhhhhh! I'm all tingly inside just thinking about it. Climb to Live! Live to Climb!

>From El Paso, TX I will continue on I 10 West to: Tucson, AZ Phoenix, AZ Palm Springs, CA

I will be staying for several days (maybe) in Joshua Tree National Monument. Must Climb more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I will be continueing on I 10 West to: Los Angeles, CA

Where i will pick up I 5 North (BURN BABY BURN, DISCO INFERNO) heading up to Yosimete National Park if I can get in there. hey wait, does it snow in the Valley? tee heee hee heee. Just kidding, I will bring my Ice Tools. Not all climbing is on rock! Does Yosimete falls form up in the winter? just kidding, again. I know the answers to these questions.

Then over to the South Bay area of San Francisco to visit some friends.

I will pick I 5 north back up through: Redding, CA Ashland, OR Eugene, OR and finally Portland, OR

HOME SWEET HOME! - must sleep - very tired

Thanks so much in advance. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!

-- - Greg Daughtry -