Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:56:23 -0800
From:         Todd Francis <tbf@pacifier.com>
Subject:      Advice Rebuilding an 84  : head coating

ROGunter@aol.com wrote: > > Thanks Todd, > > What do you mean by "coating" a head? Are you talking about coating the > surface that will touch the block with something that prevents contact > between the metal surfaces of the head and the block? What do they coat the > head with? > >

Hi Russell: I'm sorry you got only half of the message I origanally wrote. I have been trying for about two days to get this message out. It goes to the list and half turns up missing. Can't figure it out. I have written other messages before and after and they have been working. Oh well, to the question at hand: I have been working with a shop here in Portland,OR. that applies Ceramic coating to engine parts. When I rebuilt my engine I bought new heads and had him ceramic coat the combustion chambers in order to keep unwanted heat out of the head ( you see, this ceramic coating is a high performance thermal barrier sort of like is used on the bottom of the space shuttle. In a engine application it is intended to keep the heat in the exhaust and blow it out the pipe instead of absorbing it into the head. In race car applications it is supposed to increase power.) and they also coated the whole surface surface surrounding the combustion chambers that touches the coolant. I figured that ceramic should not corrode so it should be perfect for controling the pitting of the heads. Also since this stuff is a thermal barrier it should keep some of the heat of the head from getting to the large rubber head gaskets which I assume whould add to the life of the gasket, and with the history of these gaskets any help is welcome. I also had the exhaust ports coated to keep heat from the head and I had the valve heads coated. They say the valves keep cooler when they are done. I have about 40,000 miles since rebuild with no problems. I won't really be able to tell how well things are going until I take it apart again, so it will be (hopefully) a while till I can really complete my report. I had a couple of other wc engines done also. These heads were used and badly pitted from corrosion. In this case the shop first filled the pits with ceramic putty then covered everything with ceramic coating , then they are baked at 300 degrees to cure the coating just like the new heads I had done. The seal surface came out very smooth. So far we havn't had any trouble with those heads either. I also had a couple of air cooled race engines (type 4) done. This was done strictly to keep as much heat out of the head as possible. I have not done tests to find out if it helps, I just have relied on things I have heard and magazine articles that have talked about the stuff and swear it is the hot ticket (cool ticket?).

Todd Francis 91 Tristar 86 Westy Syncro