Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:47:26 -0500
From:         "lbart" <lbart@preferred.com>
Subject:      lighting answers

Hey all, I've gotten a lot of responses about my questions re quartz halogen brake/back-up lights. The consensus seems to be that it's not really worth it. Mike West pointed out that (according to a Sylvania package he had in his possession) halogen bulbs burn 50% brighter than their tungsten cousins. So the 20-watt quartz halogen that RMMW sells for this application would put out as much light as a 30-watt tungsten. Well, I've got 35-watt tungstens in there now so switching to halogen seems like a bad idea. William McKinley and Joel Walker both expressed concern about the heat from these halogen bulbs. William was concerned about the heat source being placed closer to the lens through the use of the adaptor (is it adapter or adaptor?) and Joel cited some real-life experience where the halogens got the lens too hot to touch. I don't like that idea as those Vanagon lenses are $100 a piece. Joel's solution to the matter, in typical Joel fashion ;) , is more lights, not brighter lights. If anyone's seen pictures of his van, you were able to predict his response ;) . Joel suggests extra brake lights in the rear window as well as a bumper-mounted fog light for extra back-up brightness. I don't think I'm into adding extra lights, I just want to improve what I've already got.

I noticed driving behind Rick Koller that his brake lights in his '87 Syncro Westy (nice van!) are really effective. They give that high-intensity effect. You know, when you first see them it kinda makes your head hurt. Rick, could you pop off one of your lenses and see what kind of brake lights you have in there? I'm curious if they're halogens or not. If they're not halogen, what are they? You really notice those lights.

I'll probably just stick with what I've got now. Those 35-watt tungstens are pretty bright, they just don't give that high-intensity halogen effect. William McKinley pointed out that halogens put out a lot of UV, maybe that's what gives you the headache? :) I want tailgaters to feel that pain. :)

Thanks for all the responses, and if anyone else has $.02 to add, please do.

Sean