Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 1996 01:43:35 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: Raceware Head Studs

> I have heard a lot about RACEWARE studs for the Wasserboxer heads. > Supposedly they have been able to stop the leaky head gasket syndrome. If > (when) my heads start to weep I will try them. But I was also wondering > if anyone out there has used these studs, and how well they worked? Also > do you guys think that it would help to prevent/postpone the leaking if I > switched them out now? TIA

We've been here before as usual, the Raceware are plain and simple BS, weak studs are not the problem, the stock can handle being torqued well beyond the initial factory rates, the late 80's "factory fix" was in fact to retorque to higher spec. This is not the root of nor the solution to the problem which is one of crevice corrosion. Also the Raceware are no more matched to the engines expansion rates than are the stock, the Racewhere are high grade alloy steel the engine a combination of steel sleeves and alloy water casing, always doomed to error. Unlike Porsche dilivar studs used in conjunction with an air cooled engine it is the different expansion rates of the Wasserboxer pieces that exasperate the problem. For a T4 engine, sure go with them and their new rod bolts, a fine idea, though pricey, Euro Car just started BTW a hi po T4 rebuild series for a 914 last month should have interesting though in EC fashion poorly documented tips. As to Raceware resisting corrosion of the stud better, sure maybe they are coated or something but I'd bet the corrosion will beat the stud rusting problem to a Wasserboxer death. The Wasserboxer was plain and simple a badly flawed design and one thar VW clearly regreted, must have really goaded them that Subaru experiences no major problems, ones best chance is to maintain the cooling system by the book with proper changes at proper intervals and a lot of prayer. Still, we got heat after all.

John vwbus@netbiz.net