Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:25:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      For Sale: '80 Vanagon w/Chevy V6 engine

Hi, all. Long time no /see.

Finally bought an Aerostar, so the V6anagon has to go. It's been fun, interesting, frustrating at times-- in other words, a pretty typical bus. It's also been a blast keeping up with traffic and accelerating just like a real car-- definitely *atypical* for a bus!

It has only a few spots of rust, and about 30K miles on a rebuilt and balanced Chevy 2.8L V6 engine from an '81 Citation, plus radiator, fan, etc. It was installed by the guy I bought it from in Missouri, with a Kennedy Engineered Products adapter. Uses the standard VW clutch and 4-speed tranny.

I replaced the clutch this last summer, and am still not sure why it went bye-bye. Clutch feels sweet now.

I've refined the controls and accessories a lot since I got it. Throttle is now pretty smooth and light, making it fun to drive! Still handles as well as a Vanagon, but accelerates... well, it's no hot rod, but it keeps up with most minivans, and does 65 up long hills in 4th. And the Volvo heater under the back seat is *wonderful*.

Bad news is, with the engine change and the conversion from fuel injection to carburetor (Holley 2-bbl), most (well, all) smog equipment seems to have gone away, and the California smog people sorta take a dim view of that. I'd probably have to put a cat and smog pump on it (the mounts are there, and parts are available, but no time and not much more interest), and then take it to a referee station and act real polite. Other states may be more lenient. It was (and still is) titled in Missouri, so should be no problem there, and in other states that are a little less tight than California.

I'd like to get $1,000 for it.

It's a good project car, and a lot of fun to drive. Breaks down about as much as any 16-year-old VW, leaks oil, gets 21 mpg on the freeway, less in town. All gauges work except the 4-digit trip odometer, and even the engine temp gauge the PO put in the dash seems accurate, now that I've replaced the sensor. Excellent tires, good 7-pass interior, a few small dings on the outside.

Any suckers\\\\\\\adventurous souls out there, who'd like a fun older VW with lotsa room?

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com Check out the V6anagon at http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia