Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 1996 11:35:00 -0500 (EST)
From:         Porter_Fred%PAX2@mr.nawcad.navy.mil
Subject:      fuel injector clogging and decreasing fu

Listmembers,

Since I bought my 87 syncro van in Feb 93 with 58,000 Ive been recording the mpg efficiency. Recently I plottted it up and, as expected, it showed a nice seasonal oscillation with worst fuel economy in the winter months and best in the summer. Unfortunately it also showed a linearly decreasing trend from an average of 22 mpg in the summer of 93 to about 18-19 mpg this summer. Significant maintenance that I have done is replacing the head assembly 30,000 miles ago (this would hopefully eliminate the possiblity of fouled valves). But the injectors, coil, distrubutor are all original. I have changed: oil and oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and OXS sensor on schedule. This weekend I am going to check most of the ignition components and the injectors. Has anybody had problems with clogged in jectors? Does anybody have any other pulsed EFI tips for me to check that might point to ways to help raise the fuel economy of my van back up a bit? I realize that now with 150,000 miles on the ODO, that age might be playing a role in this loss of efficiency, but if i can turn back the clock (not the odometer :-) on some of the components for the better, I'd like to try it.

Please reply directly as I am not recieving daily list correspondance. porter_fred%pax9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil

thanks and happy holidays, Fred Porter BTW for van tracking purposes, my syncro will be moving me from southern (boring and flat with no real winters) Maryland to Salt Lake City (fun, mountainous with lotsa snow) in January. If there are any gregarious listmembers there It might be fun to meet you sometime.