Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:18:02 -0800
From:         david kao <dtkao@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: How to remover pistons from wasserboxer?

Fred Mill wrote: > > I am new to the list and I am rebuilding an engine in a 84 vanagon > (wasserboxer). > > I have the engine cases unbolted but can't see how to get the pistons or > rods out to seperate the cases. If this involves removing the piston > pins, what is the best way to get very dirty pins out? > >

I promised someone that I would share the info of the tool that I made when I worked on my 84 vanagon engine last summer. Ok, I finally got it out from my garage. It is a fairly simple tool everyone can make. And it is a must if you want to remove piston pins and pistons from the vanagon engine.

The main purpose of this tool is to "extract" the piston pins out of the Vanagon engine. I think "extract" is the proper word for this tool. Without such a tool it is impossible to get the pins out. My FLAPS told me that they don't recommend their customers to even thought of removing the cylinders. It would be extremely difficult to put them back. At the time I was talking to them I had had the cylinders removed and I thought I was in deep trouble and I was going to screw up....

To make the story short, let me describe the tool and how it works. It is basically a one foot long bolt with 4 nuts and 3 or 4 large washers. It costs a few bucks from hardware stores such as Orchard Supply here in the Bay Area. The bolt is a 1/2 inch diameter bolt, actually it is a piece of threaded steel of 1 foot long. They are originally 4 or 5 feet long. I bought 1 foot length and they cut it for me. I also bought 4 14mm nuts which fit the thread. I also bought 4 large washers, of a diameter of 2 inches.

2 of the nuts are screwed on at one end of the rod (the long bolt). They are screwed on against each other very tight so that they form a head for the rod. This is necessary because when you are extracting piston pins this head is used to keep the rod from turning with a 14mm wrench. A 3rd nut is screwed on into the middle of the rod and the 4 washers are put on from the open end of the rod. The 4th nut will be screwed on at the open end when you begin to extract piston pins.

Note that the 4 large washers must be larger than the hole from which piston pins are supposed to come out. When you begin to extract, these washers are pressed against the hole so they need to be larger than the hole. The reason to use 4 washers is so that they are thick and strong enough to withstand the pressure to extract the pins.

The 14mm nuts is just a little bit smaller than the piston pin circlips. This is the critical part. Only if it is smaller than the circlips then you can extract the pins rather than ripping the circlips all together. The nut should be able to fit in the center of a circlip.

After you have removed the cylinder heads, proceed to remove all the cylinbders by simply pulling all of them out. This might require some wiggling because they are quite tight. After the cylinders are removed you will see all the pistons hanging there on the rods. You will see that you have to remove all the pins to get the pistons out.

I started out with the piston #2. I removed outer circlip so that the piston pin can be removed from the hole at the end of the engine wall. I made a small piece of wood block about 1 inch thick and put it between the engine wall and the #2 piston so that when I begin to extract the piston the pressure is not applied aginst the piston rod.

Ok, I put this home made long bolt throught the hole into the piston pin and through the pin, through the 2nd circlip. Of course the open end of this long bolt is now reaching the #1 piston. The 4th nut is now screwed on. Then you pull the bolt out so that the 4th nut is firmly against the pin (not the circlip). You see the nut (14mm) has to be smaller than the opening of the circlip, or you will be extracting the circlip and causing tremendous damage.

At this point you can move the 3rd nut and the washers against the hole by turning the nut. Once the 3rd nut and the washers are firmly against the hole then you are ready to extract the piston pin. Use a 14mm wrench on the 1st and 2nd nut to keep the bolt from turning. Use another 14mm wrench to turn the 3rd nut. You will find that it will extract the pin out in a few minutes. Remember the 1 inch wood block has to be used so that you would not bend the piston rod.

Gee, my fingers are tired. I am sure I need not to say no more. You folks will see how this tool works. You will see how easy it is to work on your wasserbox engine. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

David Kao 83 westy and 84 vanagon