Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 1996 17:30:02 +0000
From:         Scott Maurer <smaur@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: How to remover pistons from wasserboxer?

The 1.9L pistons can be removed with rods attached. My 1.9L had 2 rods seized (overheated/melted) to the crankshaft, so I could not align the pistons with the pin extraction opening in the crankcase. I separated the crankcase halves a few inches and gained access to remove the rod cap nuts. A tight fit but workable (the seized rod came loose, but the bearing is still bonded with that crankshaft). Once one piston per side was removed, there was vacated space to gently pound the remaining piston pin out (as well as access to remove the inside pin circlip). I removed and installed the piston pins with a scrap piece of wood dowel.

Scott Maurer '84 Vanagon GL Portland, OR

At 05:11 AM 12/20/96 +0000, you wrote: >I am new to the list and I am rebuilding an engine in a 84 vanagon >(wasserboxer). > >I have the engine cases unbolted but can't see how to get the pistons or >rods out to seperate the cases. If this involves removing the piston >pins, what is the best way to get very dirty pins out? > >What is a good source for parts for this engine? Is there anything else >I need to watch out for? > >TIA, > >Fred Mill >