Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:50:25 -0800
From:         matt <msanner@hooked.net>
Subject:      For Sale: 84 Vanagon GL

Hey all:

Well the time has come to sell the "Road Hoopty". Yes my beloved vanagon which has taken me back and forth across this great expanse called the USA two times, up over emmits pass in the seirra twice, out to black rock city and burning man this year and countless other forrays into the california wilderness needs a new home. My girlfriend has developed back problems driving the beast (give her a break she's 5'2 and 100 pounds). Seems trying to parallel park in San Francisco is/was too much for her. I'm bummed.

So to placate myself, I went out and bought a 1970 Karmann Ghia. Oh man--nice!

About the 84 GL: Beige interior-no middle seat, just the back bench The body is in good shape-(some dents, dings, back bumper kissed too many times, etc.) Rear tires are 2 years old front tires are from p.o. Head gaskets changed two years ago No underbody rust (that I can see)

Problems: Back wiper broken metal coolant pipe leaks. Odometer died at 102355.?? probably has about 115000 on it now Oil pan threads stripped (thank you local quick oil place)

What the shop says: I took it to Gandalf's (in Daly city on Mission St) new brakes shoes need to adjust shift linkage replace pipe

I'm asking $2,500 and want it to go to a nice home that will take care of her. Check the archives to find out what other gremlins have haunted the beast- I honestly can't remember them all (but then who can).I don't really want to sell the hoopty, but two cars in the city is madness. thanks,

Matt ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >...computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh >only 1/2 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, March 1949