Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:18:43 -0800
From:         Todd Francis <tbf@pacifier.com>
Subject:      Viscous Coupling Fluid info

Hi all, I just wanted to add to the Viscous coupling discussion. I found a 86 factory service training manual. There is a page devoted to Viscous fluid. Here is what it says: "Shearing action between the two sets of plates leads to an expansion of the silicon fluid and a rise in pressure inside the sealed viscous coupling. The rise in pressure is controlled by a small measured quantity of air that is included in the drum during manufacture before it is sealed. Because of the rapid rise in temperature and pressure, lock-up occurs very quickly, in about 1/10 second or approximately 1/4 turn of the tire. Power is now transmitted between the plates with the fluid as a medium. At the point of lock-up, a self regulating effect takes over. As practically no relative movement takes place between the two sets of discs, the temperature inside the coupling drops and the presure inside the coupling drops. Now a level of slip is maintained in accordance with the speed changes between the front and rear axles. THIS UNIQUE SILICON FLUID IS PATENTED and has the ability to increase its viscosity quickly when it is heated. The fluid's viscosity does not,however, increase when the temperature decreases." Along with this text there is a chart that shows the temperature Versus the viscosity of the fluid. It shows that the viscosity remains constantly low (there are no measurments of viscostiy on the chart. it just says low at the bottom of the chart and high at the top of the chart.) between -30 degrees C and 100 degrees C. At 100degrees the line goes almost straight up to high viscosity. The viscosity remains constantly high to the edge of the chart which I would guess to be 170 degrees C (The chart is not marked for temperaature at the high end). There was talk of being able to use brake fluid. I would doubt brake fluid has the characteristics shown on this chart. The wanted characteristics of brake fluid would be to not change viscosity when heated or cooled. And especially not to have a radicle change of viscosity over a temperature range of a few degrees like the viscous fluid chart shows. Even if we could get viscous fluid how would we determine how much to put in. How criticle is the air pocket volume in the coupling? VW says " a small measured quanity of air". I suppose you could take one apart and measurd how much fluid is in it. Is the air pressurized when it is put into the unit? Again I suppose you could capture the air that comes out and measure it. (might be kinda tough but it could be done). It looks to me that this job is out of the realm of the back yard mechanic. I could imagine someone could spend some time researching the problem and specialize in rebuilding these parts here in the states. Interesting thought.

Todd Francis 91 Tristar Syncro recent bumper sticker sighting 86 Westy Syncro "Jail to the chief"