Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Dec 1996 07:38:13 -0500 (EST)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      Re: Lighting - HighPower Bulbs

I want to add my $.02 worth on th eJC Whipme bulbs. I, like Dan, put a set in my EuroVan.....the first one died in two months (Dan you were lucky!;-) ) The other one I just took out the other day. I was having problem with the low beam on the remaining bulb starting to run dimly....so a couple of times I jiggled the connector and the light would be ok for a couple of days.

After a week or so, this began to become annoying, so I dug out my remaining stock bulb and replaced the JC WHipme bulb. WHen I did that I was APPALLED!!

The lowbeam terminal on the bulb was corroded....and caused so much resistance in the circuit that the terminal on the plug actually heated up and melted the plastic on the plug.

I feel that these bulbs (made in one of the former iron curtain countries) like most stuff from JC Whipme are CRAP!!! BEWARE!!

Now on to what you can do for more light. My wife and I used to rally a Golf GTI, and we had lots of auxiliary lights (driving & fog). This past spring I mounted a pair of Hella 210 fogs (9" wide and 4" tall) under the front bumper just ahead of the indentations on the front bumper. Given the fact that bumper is "flexible", I used some bar stock to reinforce the mounting areas. The lamps work great!

In a T4 accessory catalogue I received from Norway, VW of Norway sells Hella 1000 driving lights (about 8" in diameter). From the picture, the lamps are mounted on the bumper. I have a pair of those driving lights, and also run a bra on my EV. Mounting the bra, shouldn't effect the driving lights.

The Hella's have two mounting brackets...the first one is on the bottom, and allows the lights to be mounted on the bumper. The second mounting bracket comes off of the top of the light, and is essentially an adjustable strap. The strap should mount on the radiator support frame, between the grille and the hood. The bra on my EV only comes up to the top of the grille, and the upper mounting staps should sit in the space between the top of the lower part of the bra and the hood.

I won't have a definitave answer until spring...its too damn cold to mount the lights!!!

As always, make sure when you mount your lights (fogs or driving) that you use a relay to draw power from the battery.

BTW, VWUS claims that they do not sell a fog light switch for the EV...but the fog light switch from a pre-94 Passat is the same switch!!

LIGHT ON!!! .... or was it Right on?

Ric