Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:15:13 -0800 (PST)
From:         Beth Young <young@sherlock.sims.berkeley.edu>
Subject:      Air Flow Meter/'81 Van/Failed smog

First, thanks for the replies to my previous post regarding the inability to adjust my idle mixture "lean" enough due to an apparently faulty air sensor.

To revisit that thread for a moment: I had broken down and gone to VWofA to get my idle mixture adjusted. Tech said that although he had adjusted mixture screw all the way out, he couldn't get CO down low enough and said that the air vane wasn't moving enough in response to changes in air "push" caused by changes in position of the screw. I was frankly dubious about this explanation since it seem to me that adjustment of the screw acted as a pure bypass, allowing more or less unmetered air into the engine. All respondents to my question about this agreed.

Guess what? He's right! I popped the cover of my air sensor and, with the engine running, adjusted the screw all the way in and all the way out. The air vane (as indicated by the "sweep" arm I could see) definitely moved in response to my adjustments! I guess just because the shop coveralls say "VWofA" doesn't mean that everything they say is wrong! (It doesn't make it all right, either.)

Anyway, I found Dan Houg's post in the archives about adjusting the air meter. After a personal reply from Dan regarding a question I had (Thank you, Dan) I went out this morning and started adjusting. Monitoring my progress with my ohm meter attached to the O2 sensor, I got volts fluctuating just around .5, exactly as specified!! The engine was definitely running better, so I hopped into the car to get it smogged.

And it failed again!! As before, idle CO was OK, idle HC was a bit too high. This tech said that I had a leak in my exhaust (O2 reading was around 11% - isn't this kind of low?) and told me to get it fixed.

Now, I put this engine in about 1,500 miles ago, used all new gaskets, torqued bolts properly, etc. and I don't think I have an exhaust leak EXCEPT FOR WHERE THE MUFFLER MEETS THE X-OVER PIPE (this is a California van). But as I understand the theory behind exhaust leaks and rich running, the problem is that the O2 sensor gets fooled by the excess oxygen, and richens the fuel mixture. Since the leak is downstream of the O2 sensor, I wouldn't think this would matter.

Questions:

1) is 11% O2 out the pipe really too high?

2) will an exhaust leak such as I described, i.e., downstream of the O2 meter, give false readings?

Thanks everyone.