Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Dec 1996 19:59:15 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Avoiding Routine Maintainence

Avoiding Routine Maintainence,

Is a mistake, plain and simple.

A couple things call this to mind. While BSing with Steve Dolan at Tom Forhan's party the subject came up, Pat Flynn I believe was getting ready to repack his rear wheel bearings in the cold outside and Steve made the comment he was putting off a bunch of routine stuff till spring and I have put some stuff off as well. Now on the '77 and '78 I bought 1.5 years back I did all my normal fluid changes, new rear brake cylinders, repack front bearings, etc. etc. Stuff I typically do when buying a car. But then along came the '85 and hell it only had 75k miles and stuff looked OK at a quick glance, and along came the '81 in a wild rush to get it ready for a 4k mile summer vacation in under 1 month from purchase to vacation and so after the engine was in other things overlooked. The '85 recieved a bunch of special work needed to get it roadworthy, coolant tubes, exhaust, and both got CV rebuilds all round, but hell the brakes were there and worked and after all I had lots of time right. WRONG, winter comes Corrado is sold (yey) '85 looks like prime driver but has been sitting a while, and got flooded back in spring but only 4-5 inches up tires. Start driving it after a month of disuse and suddenly weird stuff starts brakes don't seem quite right and get a little thumping that passes quickly. Well take off fronts for a look and notice now that like a lot of the car everything attached to the body is oddly corroded (PA salt I guess) including front calipers massively corroded and discs are pretty thin too. So that must be it caliper is dragging causing thump and bad feel, order me up new discs price calipers, decide to bleed all round only end up doing fronts as rears are missing bleeder on one side and I'm not in the mood to unbolt the drum, I need the car that afternoon. Well fluid horrendous as one could imagine but action seems OK set out on way back to girfriends home (70 miles) her fortunately following in her car. 40 miles into it wonderfully on a 30F snowing day at 3000+ ft elevation, WHAM, big thump grinding and suddenly like I'm driving over rumble strips. Pull over look about all looks OK grab drivers wheel, UH OH rocks back and forth real bad. Pull off center cap, UH OH outer bearing rollers fall out of the remains onto the snow. Go on business to TN for a week, get it towed home assess situation. Inner race is welded to spindle. I won't go further into detail but suffice to say when you cut it in 4 place with dremel, heat red hot, and BEND a 1/2" thich cold chisel without removing you can kiss the spindle GOODBYE. So there it sits in the garage, have sourced a local one for $50, cleaned and repacked other side with new disc, the calipers worry me but until I get the bead blast cabinet going are how they are. Also the flex brake lines are ugly and although the hard are OK their union nuts crumble like the rest of the corroded mess. And there is that water pump drip I've been avoiding and the leaking rear heater valve. Moral is this thing only cost me $400, had $5000 of recent work before I bought it, I've put in $600 or so and it needs another $500 easily, which it will now promptly get so it can be reliable winter transport. Will still be a good deal all in all but will not be if it strands me in sub-zero death weather because I've been an idiot ignoring it. The '81 gets bearing and brake service all round as well. It's easy to fall into a trap of neglect cause, it's cold, I'm busy, I'm tired. I for one am getting off my ass. RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact.

John vwbus@netbiz.net