Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Dec 1996 05:10:47 -0800
From:         John Becker <jmb@beckercap.com>
Subject:      Re: lighting questions

I recently repaired a poor wiring job done on my 87 syncro. The previous owner drille a hole in the dash by the passenger's side (poor ergonomics), I believe he did this only because he ran out of wire. Well I bought a three way fog/driving switch from the local Portland VW dealeship and installed it. The only problem I had was getting the diode on the switch to light up. The switch came with no directions and I'm no electrical wizard. Any advice ?

Thanks John Becker 87 syncro

Wiesner Craig wrote: > > Sean - > > I agree with Joel. One of the first things I did to my van was install a fog > light on the back bumper and wire it to one of the back-up lights. It is very > easy to do. The wires go in the pull down license plate area. One goes to > ground and the positive right to the harness junction for the back-up light. I > have had this set-up for 6-7 months now with no problems in the wiring. Now I > can see things behind me at nite and people definetly know when I am > backing-up. > > I also installed fog lights on the front that I use full time to supplement > the poor excuse stock headlights as well as baja lights for off-road and bad > storms. > > Good luck, > - Craig '86 Syncro Westy > _______________________________________________________________________________ > From: lbart@preferred.com on Wed, Dec 18, 1996 5:58 PM > Subject: lighting questions > To: Multiple recipients of list > > Hey all, > I have a quick question about lighting. I've got an '81 Vanagon but I'm > posting to both lists because there are probably some Type2er's who can > help me out. > > What I want is brighter lights for the brake light (which is a separate > bulb from the tail light in a Vanagon) and the back-up lights. VW calls > for 21 watt bulbs for each of these applications. I noticed in RMMW's > Cabriolet catalog that they sell an adaptor that will allow you to use a > 20-watt quartz halogen high intensity bulb in place of the stock 21-watt > incandescent bulb. They advertise it for use in brake lights and back-up > lights. I was wondering how hot these halogen bulbs get. Would they melt > the lens or what? Also, RMMW wants $24.95 for a set of two adaptors (I > think the bulbs are included). That seems kind of pricey. Has anyone seen > this type of adaptor before in a FLAPS? I haven't. > > I currently have 35-watt incandescent bulbs in place of the stock 21-watt > bulbs for brake lights and back-up lights. They are brighter than the > 21-watt bulbs but not as bright as I was expecting. How much brighter > would a 20-watt quartz halogen bulb be than the stock 21-watt bulb. > Basically the idea here is to be able to see behind the van when backing up > (Joel would say "Put a fog light on the back and wire it up" -- I don't > know if I want to do that) and to have brake lights that say "I'm stopping > NOW, dammit!" Should I go for these halogen dealies? Anyone have them on > their van? > > Thanks in advance, > Sean