Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 1997 08:01:53 -0800
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      Re: Diesel verse gas?

I'm not sure where the 'black exhaust' really comes from, but I had a Rabbit Diesel for years that almost NEVER emitted black smoke. I think on an occasional extremely cold morning, it may have puffed a very small puff at start up, but that was it (I'm talking maybe 4 times in the 10 years that I owned it). Visibly, anyway, it was extremely clean running.

IMHO, diesels are very environmentally friendly, but then I'm not an environmentalist, and definately worth having. My little Rabbit consistently got better than 50 mi/gal on the highway (about 55 actually), and 45 m/g in the city. I could drive from Baton Rouge to Houston (250 mi each way) and back on one tank and have enough fuel to runaround while I was in Houston. I sold it (against my will) five years ago. It had 180K on it and NEVER had engine work. I constantly had to get new alternator belts (primarily because I couldn't find a mechanic that could put one on it--they pulled out the manual EVERY time!), a couple of batteries (primarily due to the alternator belt problem), had the CV joints redone once, and had gotten a new water pump. That was IT!

When I sold it, it would have needed clutch work done soon (say by 200K). I have never owned a more dependable vehicle. If I could find the person that owns it now, I'd buy it back!

Now it wasn't exactly pushing a van around, but it had wonderful acceleration and power, although it didn't care for steep bridges. There was a trick though. As long as I was going at least 55 mph when I got to a bridge, I could maintain speed, anything under 55 and I might as well have been an 18-wheeler because I was slowing down.

Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle